Getting Proxy Url from an installed shop

Andrew93
Shopify Partner
98 0 26

Hello,

I have an application that creates pages in an installed shop using an application proxy.  From the application the user can send out emails to customers that include links to the application proxy pages.

This works great when the shop is using the default proxy url for my application, however if the store edits the proxy url the links are no longer valid.

Ideally my application would be able to track the proxy url via the shopify api and shop updated webhooks, however it does not seem as though there is a way to get the current app-proxy url for the installed shop via the api. 

In order to track where my applications proxy page is located I would need to receive a shop.updated webhook when the store changed the url of my app proxy and I would need to be able to get the app proxy url for the shop.

I cannot find a way to fetch a shops current app proxy url using the API and I was wondering if there was anyway to do this.

Thank You,

-Andrew

Replies 13 (13)

HunkyBill
Shopify Expert
4845 60 547

I thought the page was determined by you, for your App, in your partner control panel for the App. You choose the page... there is nothing in a merchant's control to allow them to change the page you setup? How and where would they do this? You control your App Proxy not the shop it is installed in... 

I am just curious.. I have setup a few of these App Proxies and have not heard of this possibility.

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com

Andrew93
Shopify Partner
98 0 26

Hi HunkyBill,

The shop can change the url on their end from their admin/apps page by clicking the dropdown below the app and selecting 'Edit proxy url'.

More often then from editing I run into issues where the proxy url has been taken by another app and my url has a -1 at the end of it.  In either case it would be very useful for my app to be sure of where the proxy location is within a specific store.

HunkyBill
Shopify Expert
4845 60 547

Ahhh! Ok.. cool!  ... you're a trail blazer here.. awesome.. sounds like they need to apply some elbow grease to this Proxy end of things.

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
chlabada
Shopify Partner
6 0 1

Wondering if there is any solution for this.. That would be great to have an endpoint or something.

Andrew-Corknine
Explorer
76 1 29

Still waiting on a reply from Shopify on this and it is a major issue as other apps are trying to use the same proxy url and conflicting/breaking each other.  As Shopify gives us no way to get the URL we have to assume it is what we have set in our app settings, if this is different due to a collision with another app or the user changing it our apps appear to be broken and Shopify provides us no way to know about this or update the urls.

Wolfram_Müller
Shopify Expert
12 0 6

This is still an issue, and is causing a lot of confusion and support requests for my app! Ideally, the App Proxy Url would be available through an API endpoint.

Fabien_Sebban
Shopify Partner
38 0 11

Hi!

Anyone could find a way to get the App Proxy URL?

I need to get this URL from the storefront. I look in the BOOMR variable available in javascript but nothing shows up.

ko-lem
Shopify Partner
13 0 7

Wow, this has been unanswered for 8 years. Here I am in 2022 finding this after not finding anything in the API about the custom proxy prefix.

TobiasDalhof
Shopify Partner
31 5 12

Is this still a thing in June 2023? Added app proxy URLs to skip preflight requests. Now crossing fingers that customers won't change the prefix! Ideally, each app should have a distinct and permanent app proxy URL, using the app ID as the primary prefix, with the option for merchants to add a secondary prefix.

— I'm building Delm Estimated Delivery Dates
— Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know.
— Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Wolfram_Müller
Shopify Expert
12 0 6

yes, still I thing hehe 😅 I agree, still would be a really nice feature!

JoshHighland
Shopify Expert
175 10 65

Came here looking for the same answer 😢

SEO Manager - The FREE all-in-One SEO solution for Shopify
A powerful suite of SEO tools that gets you found in Google results

- Install SEO Manager -

ryan99
Shopify Partner
28 3 10

Nobody has a solution to this?? We have an app with a App Block, would like to access the proxy url from the app block but jsut have to hope its not changed, or ad some convoluted setting that customers wont understand??

JoshHighland
Shopify Expert
175 10 65

Best I can do is set an app level metafield from the app with the proxy url, then pull that value from the metafield in the extension. Why we cant pull the proxy url from the app is still beyond me

SEO Manager - The FREE all-in-One SEO solution for Shopify
A powerful suite of SEO tools that gets you found in Google results

- Install SEO Manager -