GraphQL Gateway/Timout/Internal errors with productCreate and productUpdate

Highlighted
5 0 0

I have written a private app so my company can take products in our internal database and load them directly into our Shopify store with one click, using the productCreate (or productUpdate if the product already exists in the store) GraphQL endpoint. The input includes a single product with a number of attributes filled in, multiple variants, and multiple product images.

For the vast majority of our products everything works as expected, but for some products I am getting errors from GraphQL that are not simple for me to troubleshoot, which include the following:

• The Http request returning "Bad Gateway"
  • Shopify sending back an error that simply says "Timeout"
  • or something like "Internal error. Looks like something went wrong on our end. Request ID: 47efeb77-5430-4b85-99bd-2248501bac07 (include this in support requests)."

I've checked the products in question, and they have fewer than 100 variants. Some of them do take a while to process, presumably because Shopify is taking time to download the variant images.

What can I do about this? Are there some additional limitations of the GraphQL system that I am running up against? Should I only be adding a certain number of images or variants with a single update, or something like that?

Thanks!

0 Likes
5 0 0

I literally took my issue to support first and they told me I needed to take my issue to this forum to get direct feedback from the developers.

I could really use some help, or at least a hint as to why I haven't gotten anything? Do you need more information?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1003 66 132

Hi @zheiland , 

Looking at the request ID that you provided, it does look like a timeout is occurring due to the amount of time it takes to create the product and variants and download all of the images contained in your update. Primarily though the images are what adds the most time because we have to download each, do some minor post-processing to every single one of them, and then write them to our CDN - and a request such as this one will time out after 25 seconds. 

The best way to avoid this would be to break your updates up into pieces, if possible. 

0 Likes