Graphql mutation returns "The order cannot be edited."

3 0 1

When I try to update an order using https://shopify.dev/docs/admin-api/graphql/reference/mutation/ordereditbegin?api[version]=2020-07 the server responds with { field: null, message: 'The order cannot be edited.' }. This happens for some countries like Ireland but does not happen for the US and UK. Does location determine whether I can edit orders?

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
697 81 151

Hey @evris_k,

Location shouldn't matter. Double check that you have the write_order_edits scope, and that the order is less than 60 days old. If it's still not working, please provide a few example order_ids and we can investigate further.

JB | Developer Support @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
6 0 0

Hey,

Getting the same issue (US-based) using a private app. I've verified the write_edit_orders scope is enabled via and the order is less than a day old.

*Edit* - 

Some background, the query is firing after a draft order is created and completed. Firing an edit mutation on the same order id using the graphql API app works just fine. I am using the 2020_07 API. The same app is able to successfully create and complete draft orders with the same authentication.

I've enabled read/write for every order permission to make sure it didn't have something to do with fulfilment.

Been working on this for a while and don't see any other posts with this issue - please advise!

0 Likes
1 0 0

I'm having a similar issue. The order was created by Recharge -- is there a restriction to edit orders created by a third party app? The property merchantEditable returns true and yet I cannot edit the order. 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
6 0 0

I know at least there is a restriction on orders created by the graphql API..I ended up just creating a new order based on the existing one and cancelling the old order.

0 Likes