How To using Multi-Location Inventory

Shopify Expert
3937 16 325

So I have a fulfillment service or three installed in a Shop that has around 20 locations. Many are POS and so I now have a dilemma. I have a single SKU, and it can be sold at POS locations, and online. So if you choose multi-location inventory, you can assign inventory to each location. The catch is, you cannot assign any to the fulfillment services. So now we have a dilemma with inventory assigned for POS, but we lost the fulfillment_service setting, and it is now manual.

So how do people run with this? It seems totally counter-productive. Where before I could assign an item to be sold online and fulfilled by service xyz, now all that can be done is dumping inventory into bins for POS. 

My immediate thought is to create a location called ONLINE, and to place inventory there, just like POS locations, and then when an order is booked, if the fulfillment service is manual, use the variant's inventory_item_id to get the location? If it is ONLINE then I am in business. 

Anyone out there using Shopify with Multi-Location and have a solution for this. Seems ridiculous that I cannot fulfill as usual, although that is spelled out in the documentation, that once you choose a fulfillment service, an item cannot be assigned to any other locations. So what do people do there? What is the common work around? It cannot be this clunky in reality. Or is it?

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
0 Likes
Excursionist
27 1 0

Hey Bill,

We solve this problem for our customers by assigning the variant fulfillment service to aihello.com if inventory is present and back to manual if the 3pl/fba doesn't have inventory.

I have just put the shopify app for review and once it's live, you are free to test it out.

AiHello.com: Smart Fulfillment for your ecommerce platform.
0 Likes
Shopify Expert
3937 16 325

@ganeshkrishnan wrote:

Hey Bill,

We solve this problem for our customers by assigning the variant fulfillment service to aihello.com if inventory is present and back to manual if the 3pl/fba doesn't have inventory.

I have just put the shopify app for review and once it's live, you are free to test it out.

That is not a solution for my use case. I explained it pretty clear I thought. A variant can have inventory at various locations, including custom fulfillment, but you cannot do that with Shopify, so what is the work-around.

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
134 4 14
I haven’t stumbled upon this use case yet, but I think you have named your possible solution. I’m guessing only the online orders need to be fulfilled with the fulfillment service, so you would need to add a location called online and add stock there for the fulfillment service. Then add a web hook and create an app to fulfill the orders from online location through the API?
0 Likes
Shopify Expert
3937 16 325

The problem comes in with marking the locations!

It used to be that one could set the fulfillment service to be manual, or some other service. Fine. Works great. Webhooks send an order to an App, you inspect the fulfillment service, and now you can decide to fulfill an item or not. 

With multi-location, you no longer get that choice. You can choose a location, but not a fulfillment service. So for this we no longer see the fulfillment service in the order from a webhook, it is just set to manual. So the main question is, when inventory for a SKU is assigned to a fulfillment service, it cannot also be at other locations, like POS. 

So this is my problem. So far, no solutions from Shopify, who should've been able to explain this one away right away, but clearly cannot. So I am left with trying to invent a pattern that will work. A SKU exists at multiple locations AND when it is online I can fulfill it properly.

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
3937 16 325

Bump. Yo! Shopify. Why the crickets? Why the dead air? Can you not give me a little hint here as to what to do? 

You imposed this multi-location on us, and now you have to explain it. Why should we suffer with it, when you clearly know the workarounds.... Please. 

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
3937 16 325

As an example. I have a shop with three locations and two custom fulfillment services. So in the Product Admin we now have a choice for Inventory Management. I get three choices #1 - Shopify, or my two custom fulfillment services. If my custom fulfillment service is selected, I can store all my inventory for that SKU for there, and that is that. Nothing else can be done. But what if I need to allocate some of that inventory to a POS in a different location? 

What is the setup for that? Is that more clear?

0 Likes