How to create a draft order with a different currency

Solved
JonoLightning
2 0 0

Hi.

So now that Shopify allows for multi currencies on a users store, how do we create a draft order with a currency that is different to the store currency. I have included the presentment_money on all my variants with the following header request option:

'X-Shopify-Api-Features': 'include-presentment-prices'.

This returns all the presentment currencies and their converted amounts. However the issue I'm having is when I try to create a draft order with the presentment currency amount. I get the following error:

line_items[0].applied_discount.amount: Array(1)
0: "must correspond to that calculated from the value".

Now I understand this happens when the applied discount amount doesn't correspond with the store value, but that then means that it will always return this error if the draft order isn't created using the store currency?

Thanks
0 Likes
_JB
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
823 97 178

This is an accepted solution.

Hey @JonoLightning,

Selling in multiple currencies is currently supported on just the Online Store sales channel. Draft orders are always in the shop's currency. This doc contains more information about our multi-currency feature and some of the limitations.

JB | Developer Support @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

JonoLightning
2 0 0

Thanks _JB. I will try to figure out a different way to achieve my desired use case.

0 Likes
MiSunLight
Tourist
7 0 9

I am not sure this is solved...

It seems to relate to another post: https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-APIs-SDKs/Set-currency-for-draft-order/m-p/775740#M51136

Will Shopify add muiti currency to draft orders? It seems like an easy fix and something people have been asking for.

Jeff_Bertrand
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
7 0 5

Hey @JonoLightning @MiSunLight Jeff here from the Shopify cross-border team. Just commenting on this thread to let you know that support for multiple currencies in draft orders recently shipped on April 13. So you are now able to send draft orders in your customer's chosen currency.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions about the feature!

Derek78756
2 0 0

@Jeff_Bertrand  This is great news but I've tried creating a draft order and don't see any options to change the currency from USD.  CAD is enabled in Shopify Payments and the customer's location is in Canada.  What am I missing?

0 Likes
Olingyn
1 0 0

Hello @Jeff_Bertrand ,

The multiple currencies in draft orders seems to work on the Shopify Admin. But is it possible to change the currency through Draft Orders API endpoint when creating a new draft order? 

I tried by changing the currency in POST /draft_orders.json but it seems that it doesn't work. Does any resource exists to make it possible?

Thank you for your help.

0 Likes
Jeff_Bertrand
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
7 0 5

@Derek If you hit "Send invoice" on the draft order page, you will see a dropdown that allows you to select a currency for the invoice.

@Olingyn We currently don't support changing the currency through the Draft Orders API yet, but we're working on adding it soon!

0 Likes
Derek78756
2 0 0

Aha! I didn't realize that the Send Invoice button gives you a preview with options first, I just assumed the invoice was sent when the button is clicked.  Thanks @Jeff_Bertrand !

0 Likes