How to integrate existing mobile application

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hello,

The Shopify support team referred me to this board.

We have an existing mobile app with existing customers. Some customers have expressed interest in using their inventory which is in Shopify, and pulling that into our mobile app. Some would also like to make it so when users click on their inventory in our mobile app that it takes the user to their shopify store.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about this.

I've spent several hours reading through the Shopify documentation and it's still not very clear to me the best method to do this is. 

Merchants need to grant API permissions, but those permissions only seem to be grantable to web applications which are published on the Shopify App Store. So that makes me feel like we need to create a Shopify web application that has no UI, but allows the Merchant to grant us the REST API permissions we need so that we can make the RESTful calls from our backend to pull the info needed from Shopify.

Does this sound right? Or is there a better approach?

I'm also worried that with this approach, that Shopify would not allow such an app on their app store because there is no UI component.

Appreciate any thoughts / feedback!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
138 23 20

Hey @hfortier-aviata,

Merchants need to grant API permissions, but those permissions only seem to be grantable to web applications which are published on the Shopify App Store. So that makes me feel like we need to create a Shopify web application that has no UI, but allows the Merchant to grant us the REST API permissions we need so that we can make the RESTful calls from our backend to pull the info needed from Shopify.

The API should be suitable. App's don't have to be published to the Shopify app store. You could create an app to connect your users with their Shopify stores without publishing the app to the app store.

1 Like