How to keep superscript text in product handle while creating redirect using API?

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
157 3 13

Hi,
I'm creating redirects using API with PHP.
and passing below data to create redirect 

array(
  'redirect'=>array(
        'path'=>'/luster',
        'target'=>'/products/luster-case™-noctilucent'
  )
)

But in output, I'm getting as below 

[
  id: xxxxxxx,
  path: '/luster',
  target: '/products/luster-caseu2122-noctilucent'
]

so my issue is "TM" in output link is converting to "u2122" and resultant link( myshop.com/luster ) leads to 404 page.
Can anybody please help me to fix issue?

Thank you!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1087 75 140

Hello @Jivan_Suhagiya ,

If I create a redirect in the Shopify admin or with an HTTP client, the ™ symbol is being turned into an uppercase "TM" instead - so I'm not able to replicate this. Is it possible that whatever library you're using is converting it before it is reaching us? 

If you could provide the value of the X-Request-Id from your API call's response or the shop and timeframe when your request happened I could take a look and see what ended up being submitted to us. At any rate though I don't expect that the redirect will be created with the actual ™ superscript text inside it, as that's not something I've ever known Shopify to support. 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
157 3 13

Hi @Josh 
Thank you for your help!
I realize that, conversion was made by library(I corrected now).
But the issue of 404 is still same! here is scenario for example:
#1: When I create product in firefox(In chrome its removing TM) or import csv with product title case™-noctiluc, then product handle is /products/case™-noctiluc

#2: Now when I create redirect of that product, I'm not able to set  the ™ symbol hence redirect is creating link like "/products/caseTM-noctiluc"

so obviously its not same as product url and returning 404 page.

Can you please take a look about this issue and pass to concern department? I think there should be same rule if handle created using browser or API or Admin dashboard.

Thank you,
Jivan

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1087 75 140

Hey again @Jivan_Suhagiya , 

Would you be able to take another look at this? I can understand it looks a little strange after the redirect is created since it looks like the ™ becomes 'TM' - but the redirect itself actually works. So as far as I can tell this is a minor display issue, but luckily the redirect functionality still appears to behave as expected. 

What I did : 

Create redirect from /products/case™ to https://www.google.com - redirect ends up looking like /products/caseTM in admin

Visit product URL of /products/case™ - get redirected to google.com still 

For this to work you need to make sure that whatever page you're creating a redirect from returns a 404. This is actually working for me right now though, so I'm curious if you're still having issues.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
157 3 13

Hi @Josh,
Let me provide you real example for better understanding.
Here is the very long link(original link) of product:
https://free-alls.myshopify.com/products/darsonval-drs™-540-derma-roller-micro-needles-titanium-micr...

Its very long url, so I created short version as below(please also refer attached screenshots)
http://free-alls.myshopify.com/darsonval

Now when any one visit short version, it should be redirected to that product. But in real, its leading to 404 page(please visit both links).

I hope the issue is clear now?!
short-1.PNGshort-2.PNG

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1087 75 140

Hey again @Jivan_Suhagiya

Sorry for getting myself all confused there - I've got my head wrapped around this now. Thanks for your patience, I'll file a bug report for this!

0 Likes