How to make an unlisted, unreviewed application available at multiple merchants?

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
14 0 2

I just installed an application (from a developer in which I trust) that hasn't been reviewed by Shopify, and it is used in multiple merchants.

As I'm currently submitting my own application, I was wondering how can that be, since Shopify tells me my only option to have multiple merchants using my app is to go through the review process.

Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 17.44.53.png

You can see that even with the "Not reviwed" message, it still says I can install the unlisted app. What am I missing?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Pathfinder
132 12 22

What you're missing is the fact that you yourself (through your own development store) are installing your unlisted, unapproved public app. If you attempt to provide the OAuth installation link to another merchant, they will get an error that they are unable to install your app (I found this out the hard way). 

I don't know why you were able to uninstall a non-reviewed public app, I think older apps might be grandfathered in. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
14 0 2

Maybe I wasn't clear in my first post.

This is NOT my application, and this was in a production-ready store.

So this was an application which has NOT been reviewed by Shopify, and still, it is possible to install this application in multiple stores.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Pathfinder
132 12 22

This is an accepted solution.

Got it. Per this post, that app must have been created before Dec 9th 2019: https://www.shopify.com/partners/blog/shopify-public-apps

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
14 0 2

Got it, that makes sense.

It's really frustrating that the policy is not rolled back, as it may give older applications a significant competitive edge, seems unfair.

Thanks!

0 Likes