How to setup a private app

Highlighted

I want to make a simple app that will be available only to my own store. I am confused about the choice between private app and custom app.  What I want the app to do is simple, show me a list of orders with some more detail such as what the custom has ordered. I found the shopify guide and tutorials not helpful at all. All I need is a guide to setup a Hello World app at this point.

I tried to make a private app. But not sure where to start making the interface. There is no tutorial showing how to do this from the beginning to the end. I made a Private App in my store, got the API KEY and password, not sure what to do from there. Do I  make my app run on a separate server and make HTTP requests to shopify's server?!  Then how do I get the interface to integrate in my shopify admin!?

I followed a tutorial to setup a public app here https://developers.shopify.com/tutorials/build-a-shopify-app-with-node-and-react

but it seems like a Private app is setup totally differently. Can some one please shed some light on basic steps to setup a private please? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
491 97 88

Hi @Keener 

I can absolutely help shed some light on this. A private app makes calls to a specific Shopify Store utilizing the API key + Password. There is no 'frontend' or admin views for this type of app. A public app, however, can have a frontend embedded in the Shopify admin. You can create an unlisted public app, meaning that only you are able to install this on your store. Continue to follow the tutorial for Node + React. At the end, when you go to publish you can install on your own store as unlisted. 

Vix | Developer Support @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
6 0 0

Hi @ivix,

I'm trying to learn more about the differences/pros/cons between the 3 app types (public, custom, private).

From your reply:

There is no 'frontend' or admin views for this type of app. A public app, however, can have a frontend embedded in the Shopify admin.

I wasn't aware of that difference and the "App types" page doesn't make that clear: https://help.shopify.com/en/api/getting-started/app-types

Is it possible to have the "App types" dev page be more descriptive on what the certain app types can/can't do? Maybe as a table with 3 columns?

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

Hi, @etrolmos 

I think you replied to @vix but i also develop app and i think there is small differences

1. public app can work with any shop and required review from shopify team to appear in shopify app store

2. Custom can work only with one shop becasue auth hardcoded to one shop domain

3. same as public only not shown in shopify app store 

During development i test my app like this

Снимок экрана 2020-01-22 в 09.47.16.png

then i agree that app is not listed and possible test it

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
6 0 0

Tagging @vix because I tagged the wrong person in my reply.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
6 0 0

Hi @ivix,

My apologies for incorrectly tagging you. Thank you for your reply and screenshot. Your understanding of the differences matches mine and the Shopify docs. Vix's reply seems to indicate there are some deeper differences though.

0 Likes