Implement a custom API on Checkout with non Shopify Plus Stores

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
3 0 0
Hey Shopify forum! I'm surprised this is my first post with all of the apps and sites we have built on Shopify. We're a development team based in Seattle and wanted to just clarify something real quick. It seems possible but before closing the current project, I want to make sure it is 100% possible.

We are working with a client to implement a custom API to calculate international customs, duties, taxes, etc on the checkout screen. To accomplish this, we are hoping to add an additional fee to the cart prior to checkout. For this particular client, they are not on Shopify Plus.

We know of an existing App called "Order & Product Fees" that accomplishes this using what they call "hidden fees," but the fees added using this App must be static amounts as opposed to dynamic values obtained through an API.

Any guidance from the forum regarding which Shopify API that can be used to add a fee to the cart (similar to the attached screenshot) would be greatly appreciated!

Greg Bellinger
Partner @ White Rabbit Group
Seattle, WA
www.whiterabbit.group
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1455 16 115

@wrg-greg wrote:
Any guidance from the forum regarding which Shopify API that can be used to add a fee to the cart (similar to the attached screenshot) would be greatly appreciated!

No screenshot given.

@wrg-greg wrote:
 implement a custom API to calculate international customs, duties, taxes, etc on the checkout screen. 

Without Shopify Plus to do this during /checkout you'd need a custom carrier service.

@wrg-greg wrote:
... we are hoping to add an additional fee to the cart prior to checkout
... fees added using this App must be static amounts as opposed to dynamic values obtained through an API.

That's just adding a product literally called "fee",  to be cute you could even use the variants to hold different permutations.

There's also the option of trying to negotiate getting avalara added to the merchants account without a Plus plan if it's able to meet your ruleset,

OR seeing if access to the Tax Services API is still a thing.

If you try either of the above definitely message me the pass|fail outcome I'd love to know.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept the solution so you can help others.
Confused? Busy? ? Get me to solve it paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com.
Buy me a coffee? ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Screenshot from the first post attached again. The goal is to add it as a processing fee or separate line item, rather than adding it in as a product.

0.png

Greg Bellinger
Seattle, WA
www.whiterabbit.group
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Hi Paul,

Sorry about the screenshot. I think it was removed when Shopify spammed my post and then un-spammed it. I added a new comment with the screenshot.

Without Shopify Plus to do this during checkout you'd need a custom carrier service.

Would you mind elaborating more on this comment?

As for your last comments, I know we could add in a product and handle it that way but we would rather it be more graceful and not be a part of the product list. We'll look into the other two that you mentioned!

Appreciate the help and feedback!

Greg Bellinger
Seattle, WA
www.whiterabbit.group
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1455 16 115

Custom carrier services let you change shipping prices. Not sure if you'd be able to relabel something to "processing fee" though.

Though you can also change locale translation strings in the themes language setting to repurpose text shown in different areas of the checkout.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept the solution so you can help others.
Confused? Busy? ? Get me to solve it paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com.
Buy me a coffee? ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
0 Likes