Solved

Inconsistent behaviour with presentment currency price adjustments

lukeharvey
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi,

I have a store that uses the Shopify JavaScript Buy SDK, uses Shopify Payments, has multiple currencies enabled and I wish to use the "price adjustments" feature for the foreign currencies I have enabled. I have spotted what appears to be inconsistent behaviour with the product variant presentment prices returned via the Storefront API.

My store base currency is GBP (United Kingdom).

Let's say, for example, that I have enabled Canada (CAD), Germany (EUR) and United States (USD) as additional countries/regions under Shopify Payments > Manage. Then for all 3 countries I have enabled a price increase of 10%, so for all customers in Canada, Germany and the United States prices should be increased by 10% when they get to the checkout and confirm their address. That bit seems to work fine.

The issue I have is with the product variant presentment prices returned via the Storefront API, which I render on the product pages of my shop. What I am seeing is that the product variant presentment prices in CAD and USD do include the 10% price adjustment I have configured for Canada and United States respectively, but the prices in EUR do not include the 10% increase I have configured for Germany, or any other countries that accept the Euro for that matter.

Why does the EUR currency behave differently? How can I get product variant presentment prices in EUR to include the price adjustments configured in Shopify Payments?

I could understand if no presentment prices included price adjustments, but for some currencies to include them and others not to include them appears to be inconsistent and means I must write some code myself to handle EUR differently to other currencies, which is far from ideal, especially when I wish to make use of the Shopify currency rounding feature.

CHF also appears to suffer from this issue.

Accepted Solution (1)

coalescecreate
Shopify Partner
12 2 2

This is an accepted solution.

This may or may not help but I discovered that for EUR to work correctly with specific presentment prices it's a good idea to include all the countries which have EUR. I had all but Andorra (which we don't deliver to) and it didn't work. Upon adding Andorra EUR presentment pricing worked.

I'm using Fixed Pricing per country not relative with percentage increase/decrease

View solution in original post

Replies 3 (3)

coalescecreate
Shopify Partner
12 2 2

This is an accepted solution.

This may or may not help but I discovered that for EUR to work correctly with specific presentment prices it's a good idea to include all the countries which have EUR. I had all but Andorra (which we don't deliver to) and it didn't work. Upon adding Andorra EUR presentment pricing worked.

I'm using Fixed Pricing per country not relative with percentage increase/decrease

lukeharvey
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi @coalescecreate,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. Adding Andorra appears to have got the price adjustments in EUR working as intended. I wish this was documented somewhere because it is not at all clear why you must add Andorra but you do not need to add, for example, Kosovo and all the French island territitories, which technically also list EUR as their currency.

I have also managed to get the price adjustments working in CHF by enabling Liechtenstein as well as Switzerland.

I understand this is quite a new feature, but I do think Shopify should improve their documentation related to this feature!

coalescecreate
Shopify Partner
12 2 2

I think it might just be a bug and that's why it's not documented.