Introducing cookieless authentication beta with App Bridge

HunkyBill
Shopify Expert
4369 36 463

You are not loading an authenticated session inside the iframe. Shopify is hoisting you into an iframe but it cannot hoist your session in there, without using cookies. Anyway, if you are happy and your App works, why worry. If you are actually leaking and not secure, someone will hack you and or inform you and you'll fix things up later. I am sure you are fine though. It is tough to screw up and get away with it.

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
releod
Tourist
9 0 4

I agree with HunkyBill here. It may also be worth hearing about how you've accomplished this.. worst case we can poke some security holes in your setup, best case we can learn something new.

0 Likes
Martin_Caum
Shopify Partner
40 3 18

Absolutely. If I have any concern it is that I am doing something insecure. But I think I have thought it all out pretty well. Feel free to pick it apart. I actually wanted to work in PHP for multiple reasons (main one being I tried getting started with the tutorials out there for Ruby with Shopify's gem and I ended up with a 96MB app that just authenticated (and barely did that even) before I even started coding out the actual functionality of the app). The only PHP app I found was outdated and did not work with Shopify's current Oauth and API, so I wrote my own bare-bones PHP app and put it on GitHub. It includes all steps to get it up and running easily as well as the added security measures I spoke about in my first comment on here. Check it out here and let me know what you think or if there are any flaws you find in it: https://github.com/XenithTech/php-shopify-app-skeleton

0 Likes
Martin_Caum
Shopify Partner
40 3 18

Also, I have not gone through and commented anything yet so feel free to ask me either on here or GitHub about what any of it is doing. But it should be mostly straightforward.

0 Likes
HunkyBill
Shopify Expert
4369 36 463

I agress on the bloat. I used Sinatra for years to avoid it. But you have to also remember this. That bloat buys you code battle-tested and proven, code you eventually need, and code you cannot hope to replicate yourself. Rare is the person that writes an App these days without some kind of framework. So while it is true you get little out of the box for your initial foray into Rails, for just a few extra minutes of work, you could put into play a useful API call pattern, that is battle-tested for the same 96MB. Good luck rolling your own there. Also PHP? Hardcore hanging on to yesteryear! It is still a thing for sure, but you won't stumble across anything nice for Shopify. Stick with Ruby, or Python (or even gasp, Node) for the most current community efforts. And don't discount the fact that Shopify's gems for App and API are always going to expose cutting edge before anything else by default. PHP will almost always be your long distant cousin on a dial-up modem with electricity only 4 hours a day, from a bicycle feeding a battery when the sun does not shine. 

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
0 Likes
Martin_Caum
Shopify Partner
40 3 18

I definitely get what you are saying about having the pre built out API but the Admin API for Shopify is very well documented and very straightforward as far as the calls being made. The wrapper API doesn't seem to give me much advantage overall. As I go and need to make calls I am going to be building on this PDP bare-bones app to have a similar built in API structure of reusable functions but I also gain a lot out of doing this by hand in way of learning. Now the choice of PHP is for a whole different discussion. I would argue (as an active professional web developer) though that PHP is actually by no means a dying language. The new versions of PHP have fixed a lot of old performance concerns and between just WordPress and Magento alone, there are thousands upon thousands of sites written in PHP that will likely never be rewritten to another language. That being said, I am familiar with Node and may give that a shot at some point. 

0 Likes
HunkyBill
Shopify Expert
4369 36 463

What is this wrapper API you speak of? I am not familiar with referring to anything as a wrapper API

0 Likes
releod
Tourist
9 0 4

Hi @rezaansyed - where are the docs for `userAuthenticatedFetch` ? I only see `authenticatedFetch` mentioned. Just plugging it in the same way throws errors.. is this tested at all??

0 Likes
rezaansyed
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
7 0 3

@releod sorry I had meant to say `authenticatedFetch`. This is the link showing the example for `authenticatedFetch`: https://shopify.dev/tools/app-bridge/authentication#frontend-changes

0 Likes
Martin_Caum
Shopify Partner
40 3 18

@HunkyBill Wrapper API refers to an API that wraps around another one. In other words, a class/object that contains functions taking in arguments to make calls to the REST API and returns an object native to that language. Something like `$products = $Store->getProduct('29249471');`.

0 Likes