Introducing cookieless authentication beta with App Bridge

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
30 0 17

@dsingh In the 5 years I've used Shopify I've never seen a myshopify url changed or recycled into a new store. When you try to signup using one that was ever used before it gives an error. Even if it were recycled at some point, in that scenario, you should be processing the web hook you receive a few days after any app is uninstalled and wipe out all the data for that store. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
4188 29 412

A few days! Heck, it should be dealt with prompter than that. When a shop closes, and Shopify sends the App Uninstalled webhook, we're talking mere minutes at the most! Why wait around days! It is likely that recycling those names is possible, but I would not stress on it either, as you always start with a fresh slate of name, and ID's if you're doing it right.

I think I still own flowers.myshopify.com and cars.myshopify.com if anybody wants... haha. Going back to 2006 I bet. When it failed to occur to me that shop domain name matters for nothing save it is the unique ID of the shop.

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
12 0 0

@HunkyBill Agreed, I'd prefer to use the shop id (just to be certain). But We can't depend on callbacks for data security. Callbacks fail, endpoints can be unavailable, etc. FWIK I think that JWT only gives us the user id for the active user and the shop url/domain. That probably isn't the best information to authenticate using JWT. Does that makes sense?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
4188 29 412

I am not going to argue for or against JWT. If a couple of billion dollar companies decided it was OK to use them, and the code provided to use them was not written by me, but by experts in that domain, I leave it to them that it just works. Rolling your own always involves mistakes and holes, so I leave you to decide for yourself what you do. I just know that webhooks are retried till they succeed, or the webhook is deleted because the App never responded in a good many days.

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
12 0 0

@HunkyBill I'm not arguing for or against JWT.  There is no issue with that. What I'm saying is that maybe Shopify should pass the Shop ID, instead of User ID in the JWT token. We(partners) don't receive the User ID during the OAuth process. The ID which we get through OAuth is the Shop ID (AFAIK).

OAuth

- We're receiving Shop ID and Shop Domain

JWT Auth

- We're receiving User ID and Shop Domain

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
4188 29 412

Ok cool. I am surprised Shopify would screw up the basics, but it what you're pointing out is a basic screwup, then best it get sorted now, before everyone gets pumped and primed and then lost due to this. I think you can setup a flow where you do get a UserID, but certainly not everyone uses that, so it remains a fringe benefit, not the main course meal. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
30 0 17

I think you both aren't understanding the point of JWT. It's stateless authentication. It has no knowledge if you are storing offline or online access tokens behind the scenes. A JWT sub will always be a user id because it's the user who is invoking the action. If it's an offline token, simply use the domain to pull the token via the domain. myshopify domains don't recycle and cannot be changed. You can add an uninstall webhooks that trigger right at uninstall and you also receive revoke webhooks automatically if you don't have an uninstall webhook. You're making it way more confusing than it needs to be.

Offline token? Use `dest` for the check to grab the offline token.

Online token? Use `sub`.

Hell you could even make another table that associates user_ids with a specific domain.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
4188 29 412

Thanks for the opinion. My two cents, your english does not communicate your true knowledge on the subject, but instead provides a fleeting glimpse that perhaps you know and understand the subject, but not well enough to really explain it. Perhaps in a blog post, with explicit examples, what you just said would be comprehensible.

This is not a thread for code, teaching or evaluating JWT. Shopify simply threw it out there and expects it to have uptake. Clearly this is the beginning of the journey for most. Throwing out terms like dest and sub with no context as to what those are, or mean, adds nothing to the convo.

Sorry. Just my opining.

I expect that one day soon, JWT will in fact be a useful pattern for most, but at this time, it remains sketch at best to bother with it, unless one of two things:

1. you already implemented JWT as an authentication scheme, no one hacked you when you did it wrong, it all works, and you can do it in your sleep now

2. you are sick and tired of the third-party cookie effort, and desperately want to get off it, and will invest N hours (n between 0 and 100) in learning JWT ala Shopify.

Personally, with all the stuff currently broken, borked or painful with Shopify Apps, I am going to wait a bit to see how JWT takes off and becomes mainstream before I waste too many hours with it.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
12 0 0

@KisukaKiza If you're at all concerned about security you wouldn't use the shopify domain to verify the logged in user/access. There is a possibility for it to be modified (until or unless Shopify says otherwise).

As for your idea to maintain a user ids list: What happens when a store owner removes access for a user and your list is out of date now? Now, this is just hypothetical and I'm pretty sure that the token will expire soon enough after so it won't be valid anymore. But, that being said; "almost" secure isn't an option for me if I want to sleep at night.

Shopify doesn't provide partner with any information through Open Auth about "who" the logged in user is unless you are using online tokens in which case associated_user is returned but that might not be useful for most of the Partners/App developers who require offline tokens to check for new orders/customers. Cleanest solution to this probably would be to allow the developers to receive token or a Shop or a User. Shop token for apps using offline tokens and User token for apps using online tokens. 

i.e. getSessionToken(APP, USER_OR_SHOP);

This can return a shop or user id in the token it returns depending upon what if we're trying to authenticate a shop or a user. This is just my opinion and I haven't thought too much about this. I'm just trying to throw my two cents in the basket.

For what it's worth this is a beta release and bound to have issues in it. Let's just all calm down and help Shopify build a better solution for us by testing it and providing feedback. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's annoyed by the safari ITP issues and I'm sure other browsers aren't too far behind in adding similar limitations on 3rd party cookies.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
30 0 17

Not sure what's with the aggro attitude guys. I don't work for Shopify, I'm just another developer trying to provide some help as someone who has experience with JWTs and implemented the solution that Shopify has put into beta. My example I gave a few posts ago was for an online access token based app.

Regarding the dest and sub terminology, I assumed you read the docs they linked at the start of this topic which explains what those contain: https://shopify.dev/tools/app-bridge/authentication See "Payload" to know what those fields are.

As for JWT at a whole, this is not new. This authentication method has been around since 2010. You can read up on JWTs here: https://jwt.io

In regards to the security of JWT, they are signed with their payloads. You cannot manipulate a JWT because it will fail the validation check. Second, you always validate the integrity of the JWT when it's sent to your server / protected route prior to doing anything else. JWTs are also short-lived tokens, they do not last forever and are always different. You do not store JWT tokens ever either because they are stateless. 

I'm not entirely sure what you mean on the last part. Those functions should NEVER be returning an access token. Access tokens are only ever generated after your oauth callback. The JWT is your "login" mechanism to know what access token you need to use to make queries.

Sorry if I'm not helping much, but I'm not entirely sure you guys are doing much research into JWTs in general judging from the content of your replies.

0 Likes