Inventory Item Id changes?

Solved
Highlighted
2 0 0

I have added several thousand products to a test store through the Rest API.  I have saved the Product ID and Inventory Item ID for each product in a database table with other product information.  When I went to update Inventory Cost, using the saved Inventory Item Id, I am receiving 404 errors, not found.  When I compare the Inventory Item Id that was saved at the time the product was added with the Inventory Item Id currently (only 2 days have elapsed), they are completely different for the Product ID in question.  As I test this with other products, same thing.

I haven't read anywhere that this should happen - and, it seems that for efficiency, I shouldn't have to query the product id every time I need an inventory item id to do an update.  What am I missing here?

Thanks for any suggestions.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
582 70 127

This is an accepted solution.

Hey @DougClements,

You're correct that this shouldn't be happening. Did you make any changes to your product variant options (size, color, etc) before you went to update the cost? Inventory items have a 1:1 relationship with variants, and depending on what you change in the options this can cause variants to be recreated, which means they will also have a new inventory_item_id. That's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head, but if you're still having an issue please provide some variant_id examples and I'll check our logs for more info.

JB | Developer Support @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Sorry for the delay in getting back here.  I have also had some issues with "bad characters" getting into local database fields I am keeping for Shopify Id and Inventory Item Id.  I believe it is an issue with ansi vs unicode at this point.  I am running some further tests to see if it is now rectified.

Thanks for the confirmation that the ID shouldn't change unless there are certain specific conditions.  That helps.

0 Likes