Inventory in Shopify Not Matching What Is Sent via API

Highlighted
9 0 0

I work with a 3PL with an App that connects to Shopify to send orders to us and send inventory numbers from our warehouse to Shopify. 

The inventory is sent to Shopify once an hour. We have an issue where Shopify is underreporting the inventory. 

Per our API we sent the inventory - we sent 

"C2137": 3168,

But in Shopify it shows 2888. 

My question is does Shopify do any sort of allocation based on open orders? Or what else would cause this discrepancy? This isn't the only product we have this issue with. 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
225 23 25

Hey @Crick,

My question is does Shopify do any sort of allocation based on open orders?

Yes Shopify does account for pending unfulfilled orders based on your fetch_stock response. The amount shown in the admin will reflect your fetch_stock response minus any the quantity on any pending unfulfilled orders in the shop. This means you don't need to account for open orders yourself when responding to fetch_stock, just include your current on-hand inventory and don't adjust for any orders you received but haven't shipped. More details are available in this doc.

From the example provided, you responded with a count of 3168 but Shopify is displaying 2888 in the admin, which should mean the store currently has 280 units of that variant on unfulfilled orders. If that doesn't match up with the actual state of the store feel free to send along some more details including variant_ids you're seeing the issue on, and we can dig in further.

JB | Developer Support @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
9 0 0
JB would love to dig in with an expert. How can I see the orders by product? Cause we are seeing a number of discrepancies and would like to resolve.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
225 23 25

Hey @Crick,

Can you send along a few product or variant_ids for products you're seeing a discrepancy with?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Highlighted
9 0 0

@_JB  - Seeing an issue with another store today. 

Inventory is managed by our app, I see calls to us for the inventory, but inventory is not being updated in Shopify. Any chance someone can troubleshoot with us realtime?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
225 23 25

Hey @Crick,

Missed your last message, sorry about that.

Just wanted to clarify one thing first, the inventory number shown in the Shopify admin includes the number from your fetch_stock response, minus any inventory on existing orders which haven't shipped yet.

For example, say your warehouse has 100 units of an item and the store receives 2 orders for this item. The store sends you a fulfillment request, but you haven't actually shipped the items yet. Now Shopify sends a fetch_stock:

- You should respond to the fetch_stock with 100 units for this item, since this is the number of units currently at your warehouse. 

- Shopify will receive your fetch_stock response of 100, but the admin will show 98 units for this item. This is because Shopify automatically accounts for any orders that exist in the store but haven't been shipped yet. In this case, the merchant will see 98 units are available, which is accurate considering the unshipped orders.

After you ship the orders and mark these fulfillments as complete, the fulfillment_status for those items on existing orders will change to fulfilled. At this point Shopify assumes the item has left your warehouse, and these units will no longer be included in your fetch_stock response. When Shopify makes another fetch_stock after these orders are shipped:

- You should respond to the fetch_stock with 98 units of this item

- Shopify will receive your response with 98 units. Since there are no unshipped orders in the store containing this item, Shopify doesn't make any adjustment and displays 98 units in the admin.

If your app already responds according to what has been outlined above, please send along some order_id/variant_id examples that you've seen the issue on recently, and I can investigate further.

0 Likes
Highlighted
9 0 0

Hi @_JB I can confirm that is happening. But what I don't see happening is Shopify adjusting the inventory after we provide the fetch_stock response. 

I am in a different store now....

SOCKS-TRUCK-E

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
225 23 25

Hey @Crick,

Can you provide a few examples of SKUs with the expected vs actual inventory you're seeing? Please include your fetch_stock response as well.

0 Likes
Highlighted
9 0 0

Hi @_JB 

Currently for M-SHRT-XXL inventory in Shopify shows 0. Storefont is Samsara-swag

Our latest response at 10:25 am is below. 

M-SHRT-XXL

==========

Last value sent:

2020-03-06 10:25:25       286

0 Likes