Inventory item does not have inventory tracking enabled

Highlighted
1 0 0

Is it somehow possible to enable inventory tracking upon creating the products? Instead of checking each product individually after creation?

I get the error: 'Inventory item does not have inventory tracking enabled' when trying to set the inventory level.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
152 19 15

Hey @malthemorsing,

When creating a product, you can set the variant.inventory_management property for each variant to correspond to your fulfillment service. If creating products in the admin, the drop-down menu is called Inventory managed by, if you're using the API you can find more information about setting this during variant creation here.

JB | Developer Support @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Even when variant.inventory_management is set correctly it appears that I cannot update Inventory Levels unless the "Track quantity" checkbox has been manually checked via the Admin dash.  Is it possible to enable this 'Track quantity' option via the API?

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Solved this by updating the product variant to the following:

'fulfillment_service'  => "manual",
'inventory_management' => "shopify",

I wasn't able to find this documented anywhere.  Hopefully, it helps someone else who needs to set Inventory via the API.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

In my case, I found that "fulfillment_service" was being populated as "manual" by default, and the only property I needed to manually set was "inventory_management".

0 Likes