Is Shopify Down? WebException: The remote name could not be resolved

Solved
Conner
Explorer
46 1 9

Hey everyone,

Intermittently receiving WebExceptions for "The remote name could not be resolved: {store_url}".

All API calls are being rejected due to these exceptions. Seems to happen for 10 minutes, then it's fine for a bit, then back to issues for a few minutes, etc.

Anyone else experiencing the same? Anyone know what's up?

Thanks,

Conner

0 Likes
Ceri-Waters
Shopify Partner
69 4 11

I wonder if you're hitting an API Call Limit, I'm sure I read something about it being different for Custom/Public/Private Apps. Either that or there's an issue with the domain's DNS (failed lookup)

0 Likes
Greg_Kujawa
Shopify Partner
963 80 204

When I've worked with my own private and custom apps if I was nearing or hitting the API call limit then I'd get an API response. With that error in the response body. This sounds more like transient DNS resolution issues internally on Shopify's end. 

0 Likes
Conner
Explorer
46 1 9

Appreciate the responses @Greg_Kujawa and @Ceri-Waters. I think Greg is correct (edit: my apologies-- I think you're both correct in regards to it being related to DNS). Having hit the API call limit in the past, that results in a response notifying you of doing so.

All API calls were rejected for about an hour, and suddenly they started going through with no changes on my end.

_JB
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
750 86 163

This is an accepted solution.

Hey @Conner,

We received some reports on the 13th where apps hosted on certain ISPs couldn't connect to Shopify, but the issue appeared to self-resolve before we were able to collaborate with the ISPs. Can you confirm if you're still seeing the issue?

JB | Developer Support @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

0 Likes
Conner
Explorer
46 1 9

Hey @_JB,

Ah, that'd explain it-- Thanks for letting me know.

The issue self-resolved after roughly an hour.

Thanks,
Conner

0 Likes