Is it possible to create product via the API with a price that is NOT the shop currency?

allymenan
Tourist
24 0 3

Is it possible to create a product via the API with a price that is NOT the shop currency?

For example, Shop Currency is CAD. We are creating product via API, but only have the USD price of the item. Is it possible to set just the presentment price for USD, and have Shopify set the CAD price?

Replies 5 (5)

Kevin_A
Shopify Staff
318 42 61

Hey @allymenan 

I believe if you were to submit a presentment price but not a price for the variant, we would just default it to 0 for the primary currency.

Kevin_A | Solutions Engineer @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

SustainableAdam
Shopify Partner
31 0 15

Hi @Kevin_A - I have this same question, so I want to make sure I understand your reply.

If we only submit a presentment price but not a price in the store's currency for a variant, the variant's price will default to 0 (in the store's currency)?

If that's accurate, I will need another way to convert a price from the presentment currency to the store's currency. Are there other methods to do this?

allymenan
Tourist
24 0 3

Hey Adam,

yeah that’s correct I wasn’t able to set the presentment currency.

The solution we went with was converting the currency via Currency Layer API.

Feel free time email me if you need more insight 

Menan@joinally.co

menan

Kevin_A
Shopify Staff
318 42 61

Hey @SustainableAdam 

I recall testing this, and I believe the result was that the price attribute would always default to 0. You can confirm by creating a new variant and not providing a price attribute, but provide a presentment price attribute and should see the same results. 

Kevin_A | Solutions Engineer @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

SustainableAdam
Shopify Partner
31 0 15

Thank you both so much for your quick response! I'll look into CurrencyLayer now.