Is it possible to issue Discount Codes to specific customers when creating it through the API?

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
89 1 7

I am trying to use the Discount Code API to generate a new discount code when a customer places an order.

What I would like to do is generate the new code and tie it to the customer who placed the order.

With the Gift Card API it is possible to specify a customer id to achieve this, but the Discount Code API does not include this.

Is it possible to do this for discount codes at all?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
9925 103 1763

Discount codes can be attached to customer groups.
https://help.shopify.com/manual/products/discount-codes

Customer groups (created by saved searches in the customers page) are easy ways to send discount codes to a select group of customers. For example, if you want to send a discount code only to customers who have spent $100 or more in the last month, you can apply filters to create a group of these select customers, quickly grab their email addresses, generate a special code, and send it to these customers.

Take a look at the discounts API and the CustomerSavedSearch API.

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
89 1 7

Hi Jason,

Thanks for responding to my question.

I did see the CustomerSavedSearch API, but I am looking for a way to apply a discount code to an individual customer upon successful checkout.

Through the Discount API I can generate the discount code, but there does not seem to be a way to attach that code to the customer that completed the checkout.

One of our team floated the idea of trying to pass the discount code information through a metafield attached to the customer. Would this work as a workaround?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

Hi there,

I'm trying to set up a discount code for new customers only, so customers who have never ordered before.  Essentially I'm trying to set up a negative criteria, so that all current/previous customers are excluded from using the discount code.  Is this possible at all?

Thanks,

Tristan

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Aloha Jason,

I sent out an email campaign telling our customers we will send them (individually in email response) a coupon/discount code after they send us a testimonial as our thanks to them for sharing their experience with our products.

i noticed after making the discount code, it was being applied automatically to all orders.  

how can i made a specific discount code for specific individuals to send back to them in our email response?

how do i make the code without it being applied to every order automatically?

thank you so very much for your time.

aloha!

0 Likes