Is there an API to calculate taxes for products in a cart?

Alex131
Shopify Partner
4 0 1

Hi,

I am trying to figure out a way to get calculated sales tax information for products in my cart through the Shopify APIs, but I cannot find anything in the API documentation or in the forums. Would anyone know if there are APIs available to do this?

Thanks,

Alex

kishinmanglani
Shopify Partner
26 0 6

Any update? How do so many questions just go unanswered?

0 Likes
Leon_Templin
Shopify Partner
65 0 6

Under what circumstance do you need to calculate taxes?

0 Likes
kishinmanglani
Shopify Partner
26 0 6

Placing an order through the API. I want to place an order through the API and get the taxes ideally before I send the order to the API. If not, after sending the order, is it possible to get the taxes? I'm sending the shipping address too. 

Leon_Templin
Shopify Partner
65 0 6

Hmm..  Well you could get the tax rate from the API and then estimate it yourself. Other than that I don't see a native way of doing it.

0 Likes
HunkyBill
Shopify Expert
4481 45 485

The way I read the documentation and example for this is that if I make an order, and I do not specify the taxes, they are calculated according to how the store setup taxes. So nothing to do, moving on. If I do want to set the taxes to specific values, I can include the rate and amount I want by providing them. 

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
0 Likes
Leon_Templin
Shopify Partner
65 0 6

So it would be dictated by the tax settings and tax overrides in the admin settings and automatically processed when submitted?

0 Likes
kishinmanglani
Shopify Partner
26 0 6

When I create and save an order on the API (setting an address and a line item) taxes are not added. I am setting it to taxable and the shipping address is in a taxable area. Any ideas there?

Also, I can't seem to get county taxes from the API just State taxes through Country > Province. For a place like New York City, that's a problem. Am I missing something here?

0 Likes
johnthunder
Tourist
4 0 1

Alex, are you talking about Euro zone VAT or what countries.

Reason for asking is that I am producing an app for shopify to calculate (and report) eurozone vat.

Let me know if you want me to notify you when it's ready.

kishinmanglani
Shopify Partner
26 0 6

US. It would use the settings already set. 

0 Likes