Is there any way to authenticate customers (end users) using JavaScript? Connect to an external Firebase app.

Chet_Bannerjee
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Hello,

We have a custom app hosted in Firebase (Google's Backend as a service). We would like to use Shopify's authentication so the user doesn't have to create an account in the app as well as the Shopify store (where we require accounts). 

I can create a page in my app to ask for email / pass. Is there some way to send this info (perhaps along with some sort of token generated from a private app) to authenticate the customer? I just need Shopify to confirm whether the email / pass is correct, so I can then 'login' the user into my Firebase app.

Any direction / thoughts / suggestions are greatly appreciated.

PS. Firebase offers a 'custom authentication' option, along with email, Google+, Facebook. The custom auth option requires sending user / pass to the authentication server, which in this case, would be Shopify. 

0 Likes
Jarrod_Payne
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Bump

0 Likes
mirnaaa
8 0 0

Have you had any luck wtih this? This is my same setup. Shopify has oAuth but it's for public apps only, mine is private. Halp!

0 Likes
policenauts1
Trailblazer
173 13 33

Have you had any luck wtih this? This is my same setup. Shopify has oAuth but it's for public apps only, mine is private. Halp!

I'm also interested in this, but to clarify, how would Shopify's own OAuth process help in this case? It's just for merchants to install the app and can't be used as a third-party authentication for end users on behalf of your app (like Twitter, Google, etc.), right? 

0 Likes
mirnaaa
8 0 0

I haven't gotten a clear read on that yet. Have you seen this post about authenticating with Firebase? The post doesn't have a resolution unfortunately but I wonder if you have any thoughts on it. Could we authenticate users with Google/Facebook using the API without needing to authenticate directly into Shopify? Firebase would also help do all of this...

0 Likes
mirnaaa
8 0 0

I haven't gotten a clear read on that yet. Have you seen this post about authenticating with Firebase? The post doesn't have a resolution unfortunately but I wonder if you have any thoughts on it. Could we authenticate users with Google/Facebook using the API without needing to authenticate directly into Shopify? Firebase would also help do all of this...

0 Likes
mirnaaa
8 0 0
Have you seen this?
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/57439319/is-it-possible-to-use-an-external-database-for-user-dat...

The first solution has a thumbs up and suggests the use of Multipass

0 Likes