Issuing refunds for app fees

Solved
Highlighted
Excursionist
11 0 5

Hello,

I am an app developer and have recently received a request from a store admin for a refund for the amount he was charged for the use of my app. I believe he is entitled to this refund and I would like to issue it to him but can only seem to find references to a refund API for products purchased through Shopify shops. Should I be able to use this API to issue his refund, or should I look elsewhere? Searching for the way to do this has been frustrating, since refunds to customers of shops are quite different to refunds from app developers to shop owners/admins. Please point the way? TIA

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
53 1 11

This is an accepted solution.

Hi there,

We also run an app and this is a very frustrating part of working with Shopify billing.  Currently if the shop is still installed you can create and ApplicationCredit(https://shopify.dev/docs/admin-api/rest/reference/billing/applicationcredit?api[version]=2020-04) which will credit the shops Shopify account.

If the shop has uninstalled your app the only option is for you to contact Shopify billing to request the refund.  We currently are using the email billing+support@shopify.com to do this.

Ideally we would be able to see and refund charges in our Partner admin as this would make the process much easier and we could provide much better billing support rather than relying on Shopify support agents to do this for us.

2 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
11 0 5

Thank you for responding! I did finally find the ApplicationCredit reference doc after posting this, but I'd really hoped I'd missed something else that would allow refunds to be issued to merchants who had already uninstalled our app, since the majority of refund requests come from merchants who have (sensibly) already uninstalled the app. It looks like that is a pipe dream. Thank you again for your kind response!

0 Likes