Location, location, location...and inventory

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

I am trying to get a sense of the preferred approach to managing inventory levels for a shop with multiple fulfillment service locations.

Based on the docs, it is my understanding, that each inventory item (or product variant) can only be connected to a single fulfillment service location. 

If a shop has multiple fulfillment service locations, do they have to create a product variant for each, and connect them in the admin UI, using the "Inventory managed by" drop-down?

The reason I ask is that this sounds like a lot of clicking for shop owners (with many products), although I'm sure there are some bulk update tools for the more savvy users.

This might have been answered elsewhere, if so, could you please post a link here?

Thanks for your time!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1840 177 707

Hi,

As far as I know, multi-location per inventory item is only available if inventory is managed by Shopify. Otherwise using fulfilment services, it is tied to the location of the fulfilment service as explained here.

Hope this helps!

Liked this post? You might also like our fantastic upsell apps Candy Rack and Candy Cart or offer free gifts with Gift Box. All made with ❤️  and care by Digismoothie
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Yes, that helped. Thank you!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi guys (especially Karl),  

I'm using a 3PL fulfillment service that uses the Cart Rover API to "track inventory" and it's location is my primary 3PL fulfillment warehouse.  But I also have inventory at a POS location as well as a third warehouse in CHINA.  I was excited to use Shopify locations, but ever since I tried, it's been havoc on my primary warehouse.  The math is always perfect so that the sum of ALL locations quantity is equal to the value that the 3PL fulfilment pushes in. 

e.g., If I actually have 100 in location A, 200 in location B and another 100 in my primary 3PL warehouse, Shopify shows negative 200 in my primary 3PL warehouse and my Shopify store shows sold-out.   

So, I set all the other locations inventory values to zero and the SHOPIFY store showed the correct inventory in my 3PL warehouse; no longer sold out.  

Does this mean that if a third party is "master of inventory" in my primary warehouse, I cannot utilize other Locations for inventory tracking or POS fulfillment?  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1840 177 707

Hi @DManNo9

Sorry, I don't think I can help you as I have no experience with CartRover integration for Shopify. It would be better if you can ask CartRover support directly - I am sure that if their customers experienced similar issues with their integration, they'd be aware of it and could advise you.

Hope you resolve the issue. Best wishes!

Liked this post? You might also like our fantastic upsell apps Candy Rack and Candy Cart or offer free gifts with Gift Box. All made with ❤️  and care by Digismoothie
1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

Thank you.  I will do so. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 3

Hi Karl,

Hope you are well.  Seems like you are pretty knowledgable with Shopify and have a better understanding of what may be going on with the new location functionality.  We are currently thinking of opening up location but I'm not sure if I am understanding what you said correctly - it sounds as though you are saying if one of our locations is being run by a fulfillment company we can't have that link active between Shopify and the company AND be able to manage inventory by location?  Forgive my lack of understanding - I am new to Shopify.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1840 177 707

Hi, what I meant is that on a product level, product variant to be more precise, you can have one i.e. managed by Shopify (you manage inventory at all the locations you setup), a fulfilment service app (these are able to manage multiple locations with the new API) or custom order fulfilment location (email gets sent to fulfilment location for them to sort it out). As far as I know, you cannot have a variant managed by multiple services.

Hope that helps!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 3

Thanks Karl, 

I want to make sure I'm 100% clear on what you're saying here. What I am ultimately trying to do is set up on online store/fulfillment center location where my fulfillment service is able to connect through their API to the location and manage inventory directly based on sales made through the website. There will be no other order fulfillment taking place through that location, only our fulfillment service will be shipping orders from that location. 

I will, however, be running sales onsite with the same products from alternate locations, so I want to make sure that on a product level, I can stock and pull from a minimum of two other locations outside of the fulfillment center location. I also want to ensure that the fulfillment center can hook their API to a single location and pull exclusively from there, and manage inventory from there.  

Thank you!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1840 177 707

I'd rather not reassure you 100% because I am a just a forum member giving advice without liability on a Friday night out from a pub. The last bit would worry me the most ;-)

It would probably be wise to consult Shopify support / pre-sales and get their confirmation.

0 Likes