Login with facebook

Dan_W
Tourist
3 0 3

Has anyone built a user login where a customer can create their shopify store account by logging in with facebook?

ctres
Shopify Partner
4 0 2

I am currently building an app for this. 

0 Likes
HunkyBill
Shopify Expert
4422 39 476

How does your App plan on providing a password? You cannot just grab someone's FB password and make it their active Shopify login password. How does that work exactly?

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
0 Likes
csaunders
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
20 0 11

It's similar to how Shopify oAuth works for Apps.  You get a token from Facebook and use that information as the authorization details.  You'll probably have to keep the password for their user account stored in plaintext on your database thoug, which is kinda dirty.

0 Likes
ctres
Shopify Partner
4 0 2

The way OAuth works - you don't end up getting the user's password. It is token based, and those tokens have a finite lifetime so it is quite protected. 

HunkyBill
Shopify Expert
4422 39 476

I was unaware that a customer can login to their Shopify account with anything but their email and their password. 

Could you illuminate me as to how a customer logged into FB and approving the Shopify App that accesses their FB data logs them into Shopify? 

It is not difficult to understand getting a token, I am just unsure of how you intend to use it. Are you using Mechanize to log them in and establish their logged in session cookie?

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
0 Likes
Dan_W
Tourist
3 0 3

Ctres -

when do you plan on finishing your app?  I'd be happy to test it out for you :-)  

Otherwise I might start cobbling my own together.

HunkyBill-

As for how it would work I havn't completely thought it through.  They would probably be stuck logging in via facebook every time.  It would just be incredibly helpful from data gathering perspective.

0 Likes
csaunders
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
20 0 11

Are you planning on using it for more than an auth-mechanism?  If you are, please be upfront with any potential customers as to what parts of the data you are going to be using and why.

0 Likes
Dan_W
Tourist
3 0 3

of course, Facebook says what permissions the site is asking for.

0 Likes
HunkyBill
Shopify Expert
4422 39 476

Still no clarity on how authenticating with FB is going to authenticate with Shopify. There is no wiring to support that.

Making a FB App for customers would work for pillaging their basic FB profile info so it could be used to create a new Shopify account. They would still be stuck providing a password to that process to satisfy the new account creation action at Shopify. 

In the end, being logged into FB would not eliminate having to login to the shop with Shopify credentials. 

0 Likes