Multi-Location Fulfillment Across Item Quantity

Highlighted
Tourist
11 1 0

We are working on adding store fulfillment for online orders.  During our tests, I updated item A to qty 1 at Store and item B to qty 1 at Warehouse.  Shopify successfully assigned each item to the proper locations.  When I updated item A to qty 1 at Store and qty 1 at Warehouse, I noticed that Shopify assigned the fulfillment to only the Warehouse (priority location) with a qty 2.  The item also went to -1 at that location.

I assume that Shopify functionality is lacking here and will not split the qty of a line item across multiple locations?  It definitely appears this way, but I haven not been able to find any confirmation.  Just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
503 98 91

I find this to be a very helpful guide to reference: https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/locations/managing-orders#example-online-order-fulfillment

Are you saying that there was 0 stock of an item yet it was fulfilled from that location anyway? 

Vix | Developer Support @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
11 1 0

For an item, there was qty 1 in two locations.  I was able to order qty 2 on the front end as expected.  However, on the backend, qty 2 was fulfilling from the one location.  Qty available resulted in -1 for that location.  The second location remained at qty 1.  My assumption then is that this is a gap in multi-location fulfillment and Shopify will not attempt to split the qty across locations and actually results in overfulfillment from the priority location with only partial qty in stock.  I was able to repeat this twice.

Note: I was also successfully testing multi-location fulfillment for multiple items across various locations and that was working.  So I don't believe it's a configuration issue.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
11 1 0

I looked more at the article and I believe it confirms what I'm seeing.  New York has 1 Shirt, LA has 5 Shirts.

An order is assigned to locations as follows:

Order Assigned locations
6 shirtsNew York
7 shirtsNew York

The article casually mentions this and ignores the fact that New York only has 1 shirt or why 7 shirts were able to be ordered when Pittsburgh has additional qty, but does not fulfill online orders :(

We'll have to walk through this process and see how New York handles the 1 and then let's the other stores fulfill the rest.

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 2

I had the same problem. Shopify offers location priority. It says: 

Locations at the top of the list are assigned orders first. If one location can’t fulfill the whole order, it will get split and assigned to multiple locations

But this never happens. It just puts the location with priority 1 at a negative value instead of going the location at priority 2. 

1 Like