Multi decimal support for product prices

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi,

Is it possible to create a product with price having multiple decimals eg 2.3454545 through API? It should be shown as 2.3454545 in UI. Also can order be created using API such that order total is multi-decimal eg 8.3534543

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1866 181 748

Hi Sahne,

Not that I am aware of. Anything beyond 2 decimal places will be shifted by N decimal places x 10 or in other by example: you post a price of 3.12345 but it will be saved as 312345.00.

Generally speaking, rounding at the actaul monetary limit is good for most commerce applications. You cannot cut a 1 cent coin in to two so why would you in this case. Of course, that assumption comes with one big boat load full of its own issues. Some currencies actually have more than 2 decimal places. Who carries the rounding cost - does the merchant pay the difference or the customer? Accounting ledgers can often be maintained with high precision i.e. every fraction is accounted for, but then all of a sudden your accounting ledger and store's ledger won't match - how do you account for that? And of course, you may be dealing with micro transactions - in this case, I don't believe Shopify is a suitable platform and doubt any of the generic ecommerce platforms would be.

Hope this helps!

Liked this post? You might also like our fantastic upsell apps Candy Rack and Candy Cart or offer free gifts with Gift Box. All made with ❤️  and care by Digismoothie
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Thanks Karl for replies. So if we create order in Shopify with product price as 3.25314555 through api how  it will stored will Shopify store with all decimals without rounding off. Also is there any restrictions on number of decimal points? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1866 181 748

I think we misunderstood each other. While you can post more than 2 decimal points in monetary values, the API, Admin and Storefront do not work with those values because

1.2345 becomes 12345.00

So your product you assume costs $1.2345 will now cost $12,345.00. Best check for yourself to see what I mean.

Liked this post? You might also like our fantastic upsell apps Candy Rack and Candy Cart or offer free gifts with Gift Box. All made with ❤️  and care by Digismoothie
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 0

how can i save the cost price of 0.0012 Euro in the backend/ admin?

If I set 0,231 the value is rounded to 0,23.

amount_with_comma_separatorß0.PNG

0 Likes