Multiple Custom Fulfilment locations

Solved
Tourist
5 0 1

Our company uses two Fulfilment Centers, one for the East Coast and we are now setting up a second one for the West Coast. They both use a custom fulfilment app connected through API. Our online store has only 2 skus which are stocked in both locations. Each location will then ship to customers based on the "ship to" state.

The East Coast fulfilment is able to operate correctly using the feature Inventory managed by Shopify. They manually pull orders, and they push back the data once the orders are fulfilled.

The West Coast fulfilment, on the other hand, requires the products to be setup using the option "inventory managed by custom fulfilment". Without this option, they won't be able to get the orders pushed to their system. 

We tried every possible app available but it doesn't look like anyone was able to make something that works with custom fulfilment locations.

Adding duplicate variants or creating a new store with ip address detection are not an option as many of our customers purchase the products for gifting. And the "ship to" state is often different from the one the customer placed the order from.

Did anyone find a solution for this yet?

Thank you!

A

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
871 76 189

So wouldn't your West Coast fulfillment center logically want to ship out orders based on the Ship To address? If so, I would think that an API call that pulls all recent unfulfilled orders, then passes along the results to --- parse the ship to addresses, keep the addresses that match a hard-coded state list, and then push just those matches into the West Coast fulfillment system would be logical. Then the fulfillment center would push data back into Shopify via the API to flag those orders as being fulfilled.

I do understand that sometimes Ship To might not be the actual gift recipient, although I'd imagine that the majority of orders _would_ have Ship To being the ultimate recipient. So law of averages?

Am I missing something? Probably...lol. 

0 Likes
Tourist
5 0 1

Thank you for the well explained solution. In order to create an API call, do we need to have access to the fulfilment center integration app? 

Their main concern was that if we don't set up the variant to be managed by the custom fulfilment service, then their system would not be able to even see the order.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
871 76 189

This is an accepted solution.

Since you said that the West Coast fulfillment center would need the new orders intended for them to be "pushed" to them, then I'd assume you would need some sort of access into their system. Either via an API call, flat file FTP/SFTP upload, EDI VAN transmission, etc. Although you had said that the East Coast fulfillment center pulls the new orders through Shopify. If it's just through the Shopify backoffice web client, can't the West Coast fulfillment center handle things like this?