My custom app needs to collect an API Key. How?

logistically
3 0 0

Hello,

We are going to be building a custom app to get shipping rates and options for our customers. We are in the requirement gathering stage right now and I don't see any examples of how we would collect our customer's API key when they install the app. The API key is needed to build the URL used to fetch the shipping rates and options.

Does anyone know of a good example app or where in the doc I find this information? 

0 Likes
Michal_Morek
Shopify Partner
820 73 140

Hi @logistically 

Hope you're having a great day!

Useful resources:

Founder of Shopify agency - Accomplishify.com
If you would like to hire us as Shopify experts, please reach out via:
  • Email michal.morek@accomplishify.com
  • WhatsApp +48 507 613 425
0 Likes
logistically
3 0 0

Thanks for the reply. We aren't worried about rate limits yet. I'm looking for confirmation/information on adding required inputs when a store adds our custom application to their store. Since our API requires an API Key, the store admin will need to provide that through the interface when adding our app to their store. I can't find any resources about this.

Do you have any?

0 Likes
Michal_Morek
Shopify Partner
820 73 140

You should use OAuth authentification like here

Founder of Shopify agency - Accomplishify.com
If you would like to hire us as Shopify experts, please reach out via:
  • Email michal.morek@accomplishify.com
  • WhatsApp +48 507 613 425
0 Likes
logistically
3 0 0

I appreciate the effort, but this isn't my question at all. Instead of "api key", imagine my app needs to the store admin to enter their TIN in order to use it. How could I collect the TIN from the user so the plugin has it and can use to interact with a 3rd party API?

0 Likes