New: Embed your app inside of Shopify!

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
91 0 14

Embedded Apps are the future of Shopify Apps

Our new Embedded App Software Development Kit allows you to improve your app's user experience by embedding it directly inside the Shopify admin.

The SDK enables simple and powerful communication between your app and Shopify.

Access and customize many native GUI features, and create powerful integrations previously impossible on the platform.

Learn more about the Embedded App SDK >

Why use the EASDK?

To delight your customers

Merchants love to use apps that simplify their user experience. This SDK will give you tools to better interact with Shopify merchants, giving all customers the same great in-admin app experience.

To get ahead of the curve

This is the future of apps on Shopify. Eventually, embedded apps will become the expected standard for our App Store. Using the SDK will allow you to get ahead, and experiment with new ways to give merchants what they’re looking for.

To be rewarded

By developing embedded apps for the Shopify App Store, you could qualify for additional revenue share as part of our upcoming app verification program. This program will highlight the best apps in our store that meet a set of requirements – including the use of the Embedded App SDK.

In return for meeting the requirements, you’ll be offered prime placement in the App Store, a certification badge, and unique marketing opportunities. Keep an eye out for more details coming soon!

Who's using it?

Many of Shopify's apps are already embedded:

How do I start using the Embedded App SDK?

In your Partner Dashboard, select the app you'd like to enable with the Embedded App SDK. Click the "Edit app settings" button, then click the "Enabled" radio button.

Start using the EASDK now!

Product Manager at Shopify.
1 Like
2 0 2

By running https://github.com/Shopify/embedded-app-example and clicking the embedded app inside the APP tab of Shopify admin, my browser is redirected to https://xxx.myshopify.com/admin/apps/844102947dbaef5c7ae6021f66195bae/?shop=xxx.myshopify.com&signat....

Inside embedded-app-example, there is a corresponding visit record with the following GET params.

{"shop"=>"xxx.myshopify.com", "signature"=>"7e0eab964a90e8324540b1b0fc2ea668", "timestamp"=>"1391487132", "admin"=>"1"}

How could we verify the access? Where is the documentation about this "signature"?

2 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1 0 1

This is part of the oauth handshake with Shopify. You can find the documentation here:

http://docs.shopify.com/api/tutorials/oauth

1 Like
Navigator
1151 0 114

Eventually, embedded apps will become the expected standard for our App Store.

I gather this would not apply to cross-channel tools like ShipStation and StitchLabs?

http://www.StandoutDesigns.com ::: Solid Wood TV Furniture for Enthusiasts. Made in USA.
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
91 0 14

@standoutd: We're encouraging every app developer to adopt the EASDK if they can. In fact, many of our partners that have cross-platform products are already developing versions that use the EASDK.

0 Likes
Excursionist
68 0 7

Can private apps use the EASDK, or is this only for public apps?

1 Like
Shopify Partner
13 0 3

I am about a week away from beta testing two apps that are built with the EASDK. One thing I am interested in is if Shopify might provide a standard CSS file so our apps can look like the Shopify admin area (text size, input styles etc.)

I typically do the styling last on my apps after the functionality is complete.

Any thoughts?

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
91 0 14

@MrPunkin: You bet! The EASDK can be used with public or private apps.

@Jim: We're not currently providing a CSS framework for embedded apps at this time. The admin design is currently in flux which doesn't allow us to provide and maintain a separate stylesheet that represents a stable design. However, this is something that we're considering for the future.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
13 0 3

Thanks for the quick reply! Maybe I'll put something together out on github once I complete it.

0 Likes
Excursionist
68 0 7

@Christopher: How do we go about gaining access to our app inside the iframe when it is a private app? My experience leads me to believe private apps don't show up as "installed" in the apps page, and thus have nowhere to click to load the app's iframe content. That, along with seemingly no way to setup app proxies for private apps, leads me to believe that there is no way to integrate private apps into Shopify's admin at all. Am I missing something?

0 Likes