Order API with fulfillment returns 'internal error' for some locations

Hey,

I've been working with the Order API for some time and am trying to add tracking numbers by adding fulfillment data.   When adding the order with a product id and variant id for some locations the order API returns `internal error`.  This same request works for two locations on my store but it doesn't work with two other locations.  I have the product set with inventory in the location so this should work.  I have a request id for the tests I've run if that would be helpful.  It would also be nice to get a useful error back other than `internal error`.  I was wondering if someone could give me a hand figuring out what's going on since there is no descriptive error being sent back.

Thanks,

Ralph

Co-Founder / Developer at Highview Apps
Our Shopify Apps: EZ Exporter | EZ Inventory | EZ Importer | EZ Notify | EZ Fulfill
0 Likes
vix
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
534 105 103

Hi @Ralph-HA 

Please post the request IDs or we are unable to look into what could be happening. Thanks!

Vix | Developer Support @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

0 Likes

Hi Vix,

Thanks for responding!  I just ran another test now just to make sure things are current.  Here is the request id, 250c8004-8ceb-4698-94c7-24c1c50cd770.  The error returned from the Shopify API is 'internal error`.  Let me know if you have further questions!

Thank you,

Ralph

Our Shopify Apps: EZ Exporter | EZ Inventory | EZ Importer | EZ Notify | EZ Fulfill
0 Likes

Hi @vix,

I wanted to follow up and see if you've found anything here.  Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help, any more tests I can run, etc.  I'm able to reproduce this consistently but just can't figure out what's wrong since the error message doesn't give any details.  I'm happy to help however I can.

If you need to reach out via email, let me know and I can open a ticket, etc.  

Thanks for all your help!

Ralph

0 Likes
vix
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
534 105 103

Hey! Sorry I missed the first ping. 

@Ralph-HA The error I see is: Could not move fulfillment_order 1294365491263. "None of the items are stocked at the new location." can you confirm the correct location is being used where inventory does in fact exist?

Vix | Developer Support @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

0 Likes

@vix That was it!  I was creating an order with multiple products and one of the products was not set on the location.  Thank you for helping me...which brings me to the larger problem.

The error message returned from the API isn't very useful as it just says "internal error".  I can't display this error message to the merchant if they do not have the product set to the right location.  It was very difficult for me to figure out what's going on, they'll have no idea what to do.  This is also not something I can map to a "nice" error message to display to the merchant.  Since the error is so generic, there's no way to trouble shoot the data or to understand what's happening.  Is there something that can be done to get an error message that would be presentable to the merchant?  I don't want to push this feature and display this error as this would be a pretty bad experience for the merchant.  What do you think?

0 Likes