Order Search by Name

CR-Will
Shopify Partner
3 0 1

As of Shopify API version 2019-10 searching for orders by name no longer works using this endpoint: https://help.shopify.com/en/api/reference/orders/order?api[version]=2019-10#index-2019-10

It does work up through 2019-07.

All reference to searching for orders by name seems to have been removed from the API docs and I cannot find any changelogs about this functionality being removed.

Is there any way to find an order via the API if we only have the order name or number, and not the ID?

Replies 7 (7)

oscprofessional
Shopify Partner
15846 2371 3074

Hello 

Get pass your Store Core Web Vital Free Speed Optimization Audit, Chat on WhatsApp | Skype : oscprofessionals-87 | Email: pallavi@oscprofessionals.com | Custom Pricing Wholesale App : Free | Hire us | Guaranteed Site Speed Optimization | Website Free Audit | Shopify Theme Customization | Build Shopify Private App | Shopify SEO | Digital Marketing
CR-Will
Shopify Partner
3 0 1

That's exactly my point. That API call no longer works as of API version 2019-10. And if you check the API docs you'll see they no longer mention anything about being able to search by the name field.

Busfox
Shopify Staff (Retired)
628 49 110

Hi @CR-Will,

My understanding is that this functionality has always been undocumented. That said, enough apps were using it that we are looking into a fix to allow this function in the 2019-10 version. To continue using this functionality, please use an older version for now.

Cheers,

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

kartikluke
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Hey @Busfox, wanted to know if the fix was implemented into 2019-10 and possibly further?

Partner at 622 Solutions
FCShopify
Visitor
3 0 0

I noticed the same problem today when testing 2019-10.  Since the order 'name' is generally the most prominent and/or the only order identifier that the customer sees on their receipts, not being able to search by that value is a bit perplexing.  I don't know if it was ever documented or not, but the forums have several comments about using it, including from Shopify staff  (eg: https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-APIs-SDKs/HowTo-find-an-order-via-API-call-using-order-numbe... )  It would definitely be appreciated to have this functionality re-enabled!

BGilbert
Shopify Expert
30 0 15

Any word on this? We're looking to upgrade API versions, but our app depends on being able to search by order name to look up the customers order.

BGilbert
Shopify Expert
30 0 15

In case anyone else needs to search by order name AND email, you can still search by email using /customers/search.json.

Then you can search by order name from customers:

/customers/orders.json?name=xxx