Order payment webhook fails to fire with bogus payment gw?

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Hello,

I'm in the process of prototyping a quick Hubspot integration via a Spotify webhook call on order payment in my dev store (run-the-edge-dev.myshopify.com)

The webhook was created via admin interface (not API). The website which receives webhook from Shopify is up & working. The webhook triggered via "Send Test Notification" in Notifications section of Admin is correctly triggered and is correctly received on my website.

However, when I create a fake successful transaction with bogus payment gw (CC of 1, CCV of 111), the webhook never materializes. It used to work a couple of days ago, but now it does not. 

I tried deleting and re-adding webhook without success.

Status page for Spotify shows all subsystems a-ok.

What can be going wrong? Is there a error counter which disables webhooks on Shopify side?

Thank you,

Pawel

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1 1 0

Hey Pawel!! 

Thanks for all the information that you provided. 

I created a webhook within my test store, I then created a fake order utilizing a bogus gateway as you attempted. 

When the order was complete and payment accepted the webhooked fired as anticipated. 

Can you please ensure the payment was captured, the order payment webhook will not fire until the payment is captured. 

Enjoy the day! 

Shawn

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for getting back to me.

That's the weird part with my store. I believe that payment is captured, since I receive the email notification about purchase. And since payment is captured, even a bogus one, one would think that the order-payment webhook is fired. It isn't, at least in my case.

On the flip chance, I just added order-create webhook. And, ta-dah, the damn thing works, webhook is fired!

Can you confirm in your test store that a) you have a order-payment webhook and b) you use bogus gw?

The only thing I can think of that is happening here is that there is some error counter for a particular webhook, and if you cross the magic error rate, your webhook gets disabled. The other possibilty is that when using bogus gw with  successful transaction (cc of 1, ccv of 111) causes order-payment webhook not to be fired.

I tried to look up conditions for order-create and order-payment webhooks, and came up empty. Would you happen to have more details?

For grins, once I'm done with validating my solution, I'll create another test store and see how it behaves.

Many thanks for your help!

Pawel

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

We had this same problem until we realized that its a two step process.

After you complete the order from the front-end it marks the order payment as authorized in the order area.  

You have to go in and "Capture Payment" which once completed will fire the webhook.

0 Likes