Solved

POS Name Not Showing up on Retail sales by POS location report when created using the Order API

Ralph-HA
Shopify Partner
106 7 46

Hi There,

We have a merchant using our order importer app to import orders from their Point of Sales system.  When creating the order using the Order API we are setting the location_id field on the Order, which according to the documentation is the ID of the physical location where the order was processed.  When the order is created the location_id is present on the order but when the merchant reviews their sales reports, specifically the Retail sales by POS location report the location POS location is set to N/A even though it's added to the order.

There aren't any other POS fields present on the Order API, that I'm aware of, that would allow the location to show up on these reports.  I was wondering if someone might have a better understanding of why the location doesn't show up and if there is something we can do to ensure the location of does show up on the report as the merchant needs this for his reporting.

Thanks!

Ralph

Co-Founder / Developer at Highview Apps
Our Shopify Apps: EZ Exporter | EZ Inventory | EZ Importer | EZ Notify | EZ Fulfill
Accepted Solution (1)

_JCC_
Shopify Staff
200 27 55

This is an accepted solution.

Ralph,

The retail sales analytics reports are for sales originating from the Shopify POS. Despite the orders your app imports being from the same location your app is a different sales channel than that of the Shopify POS. In my testing the POS Location name is only set when the order originates from the Shopify POS sales channel.

The merchant could modify the report to include the sales channel as a column and a filter, which would allow them to see the sales imported from your app, but the pos location name would still be N/A. If you're importing from multiple POS type locations or other sources with different locations there would be no way to distinguish the location as all your app orders would have a POS location name of N/A.

I hope this helps clarify things. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to reach out.

Regards,

John

John C | Developer Support @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 4 (4)

_JCC_
Shopify Staff
200 27 55

This is an accepted solution.

Ralph,

The retail sales analytics reports are for sales originating from the Shopify POS. Despite the orders your app imports being from the same location your app is a different sales channel than that of the Shopify POS. In my testing the POS Location name is only set when the order originates from the Shopify POS sales channel.

The merchant could modify the report to include the sales channel as a column and a filter, which would allow them to see the sales imported from your app, but the pos location name would still be N/A. If you're importing from multiple POS type locations or other sources with different locations there would be no way to distinguish the location as all your app orders would have a POS location name of N/A.

I hope this helps clarify things. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to reach out.

Regards,

John

- To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

Ralph-HA
Shopify Partner
106 7 46

Hey John,

Thanks for explaining!  I appreciate it.  Is there any plans to allow to support adding the POS location name on the report for orders that a imported from the API?  We do get this question from time to time and I do think it would be valuable for merchants.  Not sure if this is something that's been discussed internally at all.   

Thanks again for your help!

Ralph

Our Shopify Apps: EZ Exporter | EZ Inventory | EZ Importer | EZ Notify | EZ Fulfill
_JCC_
Shopify Staff
200 27 55

Ralph,

It sounds like having the location name, instead of POS location name would be beneficial.

By decoupling the POS sales channel out it, merchants on analytics reports would gain an extra layer of granularity not just for POS type orders. This coupled with the sales channel that's already available, I'm curious if that could work for the merchants you've worked with in the past?

I'm happy to share your feedback with the appropriate team.

Regards,

John

Ralph-HA
Shopify Partner
106 7 46

Hey John,

I think the main concern here is some of the merchants have multiple locations and they rely on being able to see the location name.   I think they just want to be able to look at the location name on the analytics so they can determine their sales data for those locations.  In some situations they may not be able to use the POS system to take the orders so they use our app to add the orders to their Shopify store.  I think it would help them as long as they could see the location.

If there is any further information you need to gather or if anyone on the appropriate team need more details just let me know.  

Thanks again, John!

Ralph