'Package weight' not transfered to 3rd party app

RCoyalisten
8 0 0

Hi!

I hope someone can help me (and a lot of other Shopify users).

I'm currently using a Third Party App for Shipping, but the problem is that they only get information about product weight, not package weight.

This resultats in not being able to automate the process and therefore a lot of manual work.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue or can provide the Shopify API endpoint, that enables the retrieval of package weight.

Thanks!

0 Likes
JoesIdeas
Shopify Expert
1310 118 341

Can you share the steps to achieve the task manually?

With knowledge of the steps, I can try to come up with an idea to automate the process.

Founder of Speed Boostr (Shopify optimization experts, theme customization, custom app development).
Creator of Shopify Analyzer (first performance analysis tool for Shopify sites, free for the Shopify community).
Creator of Order Automator (auto tag orders and customers + auto fulfillment + more automations).
More apps: Theme Scientist (A/B testing), Tip Jar (add a tip button), File Optimizer (optimize CSS, JS, Liquid).
0 Likes
RCoyalisten
8 0 0

The problem is that there is no good manual solution.

Since only the product weight is transfered to the shipping agent, I will have to manually calculate and select the total package weight.

If I i.e. add 500 grams to all product, which is estimated package weight, then I will have challenges if my customers i.e. buy 2 or 3 light-weight products where 1-1.5kg then will be added.

I have heard that maybe the 500 grams can be added by implementing a workflow, but don't know if that is possible in Shopify.

0 Likes
JoesIdeas
Shopify Expert
1310 118 341

Ok cool got so far we have:

1) Manually calculate package weight

2) (I added this) Update the order notes with the total package weight

3) Select the total package weight

#1 can be automated with a formula (add 500g + the actual weight of the products in the order) with an app that interacts with orders (we have one called Order Automator that we can customize for you to achieve this), or if you have a develop on squad you could build a custom private app to do the same.

#3 will depend on what it means to "select the total package weight". If it's something that can be done manually within Shopify, an app can automate it. If it's something that needs to be done in another app, it can be IF that app has an API connection.

#2 If the app doesn't have an API connection, you can still have the weight automatically calculated so it shows up in order notes, that will save some time.

Without knowing the exact steps it's hard to give a solution but I hope those ideas can help you get closer to finding a more optimized way of achieving it. If you don't want to use an app or don't have a developer, feel free to contact me or my team (speedboostr.com/contact) to build you a custom solution.

Founder of Speed Boostr (Shopify optimization experts, theme customization, custom app development).
Creator of Shopify Analyzer (first performance analysis tool for Shopify sites, free for the Shopify community).
Creator of Order Automator (auto tag orders and customers + auto fulfillment + more automations).
More apps: Theme Scientist (A/B testing), Tip Jar (add a tip button), File Optimizer (optimize CSS, JS, Liquid).
0 Likes