Payment API Questions

Highlighted
6 0 0

Hello,

I have a few questions about the API end point that is available here:

https://help.shopify.com/en/api/reference/sales-channels/payment

1. If we are using a third party payment service forwarder like Spreedly, are we able to use any of the 3rd party merchant services that Shopify supports? 

For example, the description for this is available here: https://help.shopify.com/en/api/guides/sales-channel-sdk/completing-a-payment#send-credit-card-infor...

The last item says: Shopify processes the payment using the merchant's payment gateway.

So does this mean Shopify processes it using the payment method that the user has selected in their Shopify store (including 3rd party merchants?) or does it process via only Shopify payments?

2. When we pass the credit card to Shopify, it stores the credit card in Shopify Vault. Is this vault per app basis and if so, can we bill the card a second time by using the ID? I ask this because will our application be able to bill the same credit card again without having to pass the credit card to Shopify through Spreedly? 

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
618 46 89

Hi @James154,

Merchants using your channel would need to be using any of the gateways Spreedly currently supports: https://docs.spreedly.com/reference/supported-gateways/. If using Stripe for tokenization, then only Shopify Payments is supported.

As for your second question, I know you can pass a customer id instead of card info when using Stripe, but I'm not aware if the same is possible within Spreedly. I couldn't find any such information in their documentation.

0 Likes
Highlighted
6 0 0

@Busfox Thanks for your answer.

Why would the merchant have to be using the gateways Spreedly support? From what I understand, Spreedly passes the CC data over a secure channel to Shopify. Then Shopify tokenizes it, and stores it in their own vault. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
618 46 89

Hi @James154,

After re-reading the documentation, I think you're right. In any case, I've asked for clarification internally and will get back to you with a more definitive answer.

Cheers,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
618 46 89

It looks like you're right, any non- Shopify Payments direct gateway is supported using Spreedly.

0 Likes
Highlighted
6 0 0

@Busfox Thanks for checking that. Is there any chance you can find out whether the newly tokenized CC by Shopify can be used by the application to bill them again across multiple stores or can it be billed again for the same store? i.e. Is the vault per Shopify store or per App or once the cc is tokenized it can never be used again? Thank you

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
618 46 89

Hi again,

I touched on this in a previous answer, but Stripe does support this. If you've already tokenized the customer's credit card and created a customer in your Stripe platform account, then you can send the customer id from your platform account instead of sending the card information.

This option is not present for passing the CC to Shopify directly or through Spreedly.

0 Likes
Excursionist
31 1 8

Can I also ask a question about the fees:

Shopify has an "Additional fees using all payment providers other than Shopify Payments", so if the Sales Channel App is using Stripe or Speedly, does that mean shopify will have an additional fee charge (0.5%-2%) to ther merchant (shopify store owner)? On the other side, the Sales Channel platform should apply to Stripe or Speedly, this also means there is a transaction fee (maybe ~3%) between the sales channel and Stripe/Speedly and/or Speedly's gateway, where the sales channel would like to add this fee to shopify store (the merchant) where the merchant would pay a lot more (3.5%-5% + real commision like 10% to sales channel) to use this new sales channel?

I'm not a business expert but only a developer... so wondering usually how this kind of cash flow goes? Thanks!

0 Likes