Polaris design guidlines

Solved
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

My team and I are making a shopify application and it will not be embedded. 

When using Polaris for a non-embedded app, do we need to adhere to the Polaris Design guidelines to get it approved to the Shopify app store? We are only using Polaris for certain components (i.e Card, Layout) so do we just need to make sure that these components follow the design guidelines or does the whole application need to follow the Polaris guidelines to get approved simply because it contains certain components.

Thanks!

0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Partner
1843 170 525

Just a guess here, but having seen some pretty wild non-embedded app "designs" out there that are approved, I'd suppose you can be wild too.

Personally, I really dislike the excessive branding or different UX of some apps not because it's bad or anything, but simply because it's inconsistent within the context of Shopify regardless whether it is embedded or non-embedded.

Polaris is missing a few things I felt I couldn't live without so I've made a few components - but entirely using Polaris codebase to keep in-line. So rather than using a few Polaris components and then dragging in yet another UI component library and possibly a few extra specials, I'd just extend.

Just my opinion on this subject matter - I realise use cases vary.

I turn coffee in to code - since 1998
1 Like
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Hey @KarlOffenberger 

Just to clarify, by extending the Polaris component, do you mean placing the @polaris folder (originally in node_module) inside of my working directory and making changes to it? If so, how would I access it's components using import? For example would using the button component be as easy as:

import {Button} from './@shopify/polaris'

Or maybe I'd need to locate the Button component inside of polaris folder.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1843 170 525

I am not extending Polaris components themselves in the sense of OO inheritance. That's generally no good practice in React which favours composition. What I meant is I write my custom component using Polaris wherever I can e.g. using AppProvider withAppProvider HOC where appropriate etc.

As for using / importing Polris componnts, yes, it's just a regular import.

I turn coffee in to code - since 1998
1 Like