Policy Violation if the App fetches the App Proxy path from Shopify Admin's HTML source Code

Shopify Partner
8 0 0

When an app is installed and if the default app proxy URL is occupied by another app, Shopify automatically assigns a different app proxy URL to the app. Similarly the merchant may alter the URL as per their own preference.

For e.g. the app's proxy URL is /a/myapp. But if that path is not free on a store, Shopify assigns /a/myapp-1 to the app on that store.

There is no way for an app to know the updated URL programatically, expect for making random hit and trial. This has been the scenario so far.

Recently I have noticed that the current app proxy URL is displayed at  the path /admin/app_installations/app/app-handle in Shopify Admin. If an app makes an AJAX request to this page and parses its HTML source code, it shall be able to get the updated App proxy URL and display the same to customers.

My question is, would this violate any Terms of Service or Policy? I emailed the Partner Support Team, but they couldn't answer this. In fact, they recommended that I post it here.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
228 23 25

Hey @Abhishek_Bharad,

I can't give a definitive answer regarding the terms of service. If you haven't already, I suggest reading through our [API Terms](https://www.shopify.com/legal/api-terms) to determine if your app complies with the requirements outlined there. It's up to app developers to ensure their apps comply with our terms, and I can't make that determination without full context and familiarity with your app. 

With regards to the actual issue you presented, I'd like to investigate that further. It makes sense for developers to have a way to check the current proxy URL to determine if it's changed, so I'll be raising this with our product teams to explore further. I can't make any promises with regards to if/when a change will be implemented, but I will ensure the right people are aware and working on it. I'll post back here with any new information as it becomes available, don't hesitate to reach out if there are any questions in the meantime.

JB | Developer Support @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes