Product Supplier SKU and Shop SKU

stevesw
Tourist
4 0 2

I can't find an answer to this question anywhere in the forum.

I use my supplier's SKU in each products SKU field however I want to create my own SKU as I will be putting in on the product labels for easy POS identification and don't want my customers to see the supplier's SKU.  

How can I add an additional SKU field for each product without paying for an expensive app?  I installed the Metafields Guru app but it looks like I would need to create a field for each individual product.

Replies 12 (12)

JonWright
Shopify Partner
818 123 361

Hi - could you clarify what you are trying to do, as I'm a bit unclear?

Reason for confusion is that:

a) you are in the API section of this forum (which is fine) but I don't think your referring to doing this via the API

b) metafields don't show on the Shopify POS, so is that the POS you are referring to or am I misunderstanding entirely

c) do you need to use/create a field that you can see on the Shopify POS

If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution

Owner of Neuralcandy Shopify Agency
stevesw
Tourist
4 0 2

Hi Jon, I don't need to see the field in the POS, just in Shopify itself so when placing an order with a supplier I know their SKU for the product.

JonWright
Shopify Partner
818 123 361
OK. And your SKU, what are you trying to achieve with that? Also, are you using barcode field?

stevesw
Tourist
4 0 2
No I'm not using the barcode field but I sync with eBay and won't that
cause a problem in eBay if I put my own barcode there?
JonWright
Shopify Partner
818 123 361

Hi - yes if you are syncing to eBay then best not to use the barcode field. Sounds like a metafield is your best way to go here.

You can create metafileds without an app by using a bit of a frig of the bulk editor, have a read of this to see how https://www.sunbowlsystems.com/blogs/how-to/metafields-in-shopify-without-using-an-app

Hope that gives you what you want.

BrittanyC
Visitor
1 0 4

Hi - I too am experiencing this same issue. It is very standard for a POS and eEommerce system to offer fields for both a business SKU and a manufacturer's SKU. We sell products that are fulfilled by our vendors after a client purchases, and our team needs a way to see both our own business SKU as well as our manufacturer's SKU so that we can place the fullfillment order. Meta fields do not work if we are also using Shopify POS. We are requesting that Shopify add a secondary SKU field (or custom text field), how can we get this to happen? Or is there another fix?

Suricata
Excursionist
20 0 9

Totally agree, I miss having fields for both supplier SKU and my own SKU in Shopify. I recently moved all my inventory from Sitoo to Shopify and I do miss this feature. In Sitoo I could have both SKU's but now I have to have a separate excel sheet with one of them. Please Shopify, add a second SKU field!

Rahul-LMP
Excursionist
43 0 7

Jon

my issue is almost similar but i want 2 barcodes for one variant , now the problem is in pos when i scan second barcode which is stored in metafield , it doest return any result because i think it doesnt search or run that querry outside if shopify barcode field   . I need urgent help on this pls pls pls reply back as i have been trying to find a workaround since last 6 months  

DanielRollston
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Jon, I'd really like to use Shopify for Purchase Orders however there are limitation. I was hopeful the bulk editor would allow the addition of supplier SKU's to products to allow our suppliers to quickly identify and dispatch products. It doesn't seem to - we use variants of products. Hardware for example: Brass Handle Large and Brass Handle Small. Each has a separate supplier product description and SKU. Is there an app you would recommend to assist with this? 

Rickronk1
Visitor
2 0 1

Hi,

We all need a separate field for supplier SKU so we can locate the product to order or supplier can quickly process our orders.

We also need a separate field for manufacturer. A vendor doesn't always be a manufacturer as most of us order from resellers/distributors. So, please Shopify add the fields to make our business easier.

JonWright
Shopify Partner
818 123 361

@Rickronk1 Shopify has made it much easier for store owners to use Metafields now, so why not just add those two fields you want as metafields.

Rickronk1
Visitor
2 0 1
Hi,
Can you provide information on adding two metafields for manufacturer name
and vendor SKU/code? I would like to have these two in order to know where
to order.
Thank you for your time.