Product unicode html conversion

Highlighted
Excursionist
23 2 1

Hi - I need to read the products periodically from a 'master' Shopify shop to populate another shop that in turn feeds back into Shopify later.  I am struggling with converting the unicode HTML that the products API result provides.  It is relatively easy to convert (for example) "\u003c" to "<" but I can't seem to get rid of the spurious characters like "Â" and "•".  Using simple replace functions within my code does not remove these.  Has anyone else had the same problem and found a solution?  I am using vbscript but am happy to accept answers in other languages as I should be able to match functions, I think, at this basic level.  If within my conversion function I put (for example) thecode=replace(thecode,"Â","") it does not remove the "Â" from the resultant HTML which seems very strange, especially since I can replace "’" with an apostrophe perfectly happily.  Any thoughts from anyone about this?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
23 2 1

I can't see a way to delete this - I no longer have this problem.  Thanks to anyone who read it :) 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
292 5 40

Hi!

 

Yes, our client also had this issue, and so we made a change in the Excelify app that when you import Products (or Pages, or Blog Posts), we will remove those two characters from the Body HTML (one is Â, the other is not visible).

The UTF-8 sanitizing doesn't work because those are actually legit UTF-8 characters, just they are not displayable characters.

 

Those are character codes 194 and 160, expressed as UTF-8.

 

Anyway, so one way to remove them is to export your Products basic fields (or Pages, or Blog Posts), and import back using Excelify, and you will have those removed.

If you have any questions about that, please, don't hesitate to ask our Support: http://excelify.io/contact-us/

 

Maris

Excelify.io

Excelify.io | Bulk Import Export Update Migrate | https://excelify.io
0 Likes