Product video is missing

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 4

Hi!

I'm struggling with attaching videos to Shopify products. I'm following this guide: https://help.shopify.com/en/api/guides/media After I successfully uploaded a video file using stagedUploadsCreate GraphQL mutation and the multipart form upload, I send a productCreateMedia mutation for a specific product (gid://shopify/Product/4163879075922) and I get a success response which contains the created Video ID (gid://shopify/Video/2082760654930). Now I can't see the newly created media on the product page.

I thought it might be related to the theme which doesn't support product videos but we've already changed to one which does. It seems to be unrelated to the media processing status either because when I try to obtain one, the list of media for the product is empty. So as a result of the following GraphQL query:

{
  product(id:"gid://shopify/Product/4163879075922") {
    title
    media(first:10){
      edges{
        node {
          alt
          mediaContentType
          mediaErrors {
            code
            details
          position
          previewImage {
            altText
            height
            id
            originalSrc
            transformedSrc
            width
          }
          status
        }
      }
    }
  }
}

I receive this response:

{
  "data": {
    "product": {
      "title": "Socks",
      "media": {
        "edges": []
      }
    }
  },
  "extensions": {
    "cost": {
      "requestedQueryCost": 33,
      "actualQueryCost": 3,
      "throttleStatus": {
        "maximumAvailable": 1000,
        "currentlyAvailable": 997,
        "restoreRate": 50
      }
    }
  }
}

What's even more strange about this is that I'm able to delete the product media using the ID I receive from the productCreateMedia mutation. So it seems the video is somewhere there but I just can't see it. Am I doing anything wrong? Or it's a matter of the store configuration?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
486 42 107

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @kryniol,

Currently the product media features on stores are only available in the Shopify Developer Preview which is mentioned in the media guide you linked.  This feature is planned to be released to stores later this year, and the APIs are available to test but unfortunately the media cannot yet be displayed on shops regardless of the theme (unless the shop is a Developer Preview).

Hopefully this answers your question!

Ryan

Developer Experience @ Shopify
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 4

Many thanks @Ryan for your reply! Do you know any ETA for displaying product videos in Shopify store fronts?

Best regards,

Pawel Krynicki

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
486 42 107

HI @kryniol,

The only thing I have is this blog post from Sept 25 that says "over the coming weeks".  I would estimate before the end of October.

Cheers,

Ryan

Developer Experience @ Shopify
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi,

I'm yet to find this endpoint in the Shopify storefront API. Has it been released yet?

Please let me know, thank you!

0 Likes