Programmatically pushing updates about incoming inventory transfers

nitingoel
2 0 0

Hi, as a logistics provider, I am looking for a way to provide my shopify clients updates about their incoming inventory transfers from their vendors to their DCs/Warehouses. How could that be accomplished? I was not able to find any shopify API that would do that. Is there a way to create an embedded app instead that might update the dates/quantities of incoming transfers without requiring a supported API endpoint?

0 Likes
_JB
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
817 96 177

Hey @nitingoel,

The platform uses the inventoryLevel object to represent the state of inventory at a particular location. It has separate fields for available and incoming quantities, which can be updated through the API.

For 3p warehouse integrations you should have a look at our FulfillmentService API, which allows you to create fulfillment locations on a shop which can manage inventory and order fulfillments from that location. It also provides an hourly sync where Shopify polls your app for updated inventory levels, allowing stock to stay synced for merchants selling on different platforms from the same warehouse.

JB | Developer Support @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

0 Likes
nitingoel
2 0 0

Thank you JB for responding.

If I understand you correctly, the APIs you have pointed to manage the "current level" or "current count" of inventory. 

The ask here is a little different. We are trying to provide visibility into in-coming inventory to a location. Essentially trying to capture the fact that X units of Product Variant Y will arrive at a specific DC by some date. This information is useful for knowing when something might come back in stock, or making a decision to continue accepting orders when new inventory is arriving soon.

What is the best practice to support this use case? I was looking into "Inventory Transfers", but don't think there are APIs associated with that. 

0 Likes