Public app without listing on Shopify App Store

Solved
Shopify Partner
40 0 1

Hi 

I want to create a public app without listing on app store. Is that possible? and is there any different between public app on app store and public app not on app store? 

We want to create app first for specific store owners to use. Thus don't plan to list app on app store recently. 

0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1118 78 156

Hey there, 

This is absolutely possible, and there are several apps that do exactly this. Everything will still work the same, you just won't have the power of our app store driving users to your application. 

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
13 1 0

How can this be accomplished? The only option I'm seeing is App Actions > Create Shopify App Store Listing. Do I start that process but notify shopify that I just want a public app for installation purposes on multiple stores?

0 Likes
Excursionist
13 1 0

Just to answer my own question, to install a public app onto a store without listing it on the app store, you just have to generate the installation URL (the same one used for the oauth setup) for the store:

https://{shop}.myshopify.com/admin/oauth/authorize?client_id={api_key}&scope={scopes}&redirect_uri={redirect_uri}&state={nonce}&grant_options[]={access_mode}

And then load that page in a browser. You'll obviously need to be able to log in as the store you're trying to install the app on.

0 Likes