We are currently using the API to import data into our system. everything has been going fine until a couple of days ago where our task failed because there was a mismatch on how many contacts we counted to import and how many were imported.
Upon investigation we found the two endpoints we used, one to get the count and one to get the customers, are showing different numbers.
returns a resoponse of
however returns 6 customers
This is replicable 100% of the time.
Solved! Go to the solution
Hello @petre-r ,
Thanks for the report! I believe that this is related to an issue that has arisen recently where customers.json isn't respecting the timestamp portion of the supplied created_at_min date. However, /customers/count.json does appear to respect the timestamp.
I reported this to our customers team earlier today, so hopefully we'll be able to get a fix in place soon. I'll keep you posted once I have more information to share!