Recurring charge cancel event

Peter_Fodor
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi,

I'm implementing an recurring charge app for our service that is billed mouthly.

I would like to know are there any notification(webhook/automatic event) that the Shopify shop will send to the app when the Shopify subscription or the app charge is cancelled?
Or maybe the app/uninstall webhook called in this case?
Or I need to query for the charge via the Billing API to get it's status?

Thanks for your answer in advance!

Replies 6 (6)

heyhost
Shopify Partner
106 1 18

I don't know the definitive answer for this, but I don't believe there is a webhook for this and expect you will need to make a call to RecurringApplicationCharge 

GET /admin/recurring_application_charges/#{id}.json

and check the property of cancelled_on

If it is null the charge is active, if it is not, it has been cancelled.

It would be good if there was some webhook notification for a cancelled charge and then you could respond with a customer communication rather than polling the customers account via a cron job.

My enthusiasm greatly exceeds my talent.

Peter_Fodor
Visitor
2 0 0

Thanks for your answer.

I have already found this older post and hoped that there is some update in this part of the system.

But as you suggested, I will poll for the charge statuses or cancelled_on field and do the required actions.

Thanks again!

ProveSource
Tourist
8 0 24

Indeed, CRON polling is the only way to date...

We've tried capturing all possible events (shop close, app uninstall, shop cancellation) but we find out about a new event every couple of months.

dylanpierce
Shopify Partner
210 3 94

Interesting, I thought for sure by now there would be an `app_subscription_cancelled` webhook event available to subscribed to.

I guess I'll be polling everyday to verify the "activeness" of merchants subscription.

Founder of Real ID - Verify your customer's real IDs easily & securely with modern A.I.

Want to see it in action? Check out our demo store.

ProveSource
Tourist
8 0 24

For future reference, hopefully you'll find this useful, we wrote a very detailed post about this here in the forums:

https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-APIs-SDKs/Subscription-cancellation-scenarios-and-lack-of-do...

dylanpierce
Shopify Partner
210 3 94

Thanks for documenting your approach and the different statuses you subscribed to. I'll be adding to that thread if I find more.

Founder of Real ID - Verify your customer's real IDs easily & securely with modern A.I.

Want to see it in action? Check out our demo store.