Recurring charge with application credit

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
51 0 1

Hello there,

We're doing our app updations. Our app has Free, Basic and Growth plan. We are providing a discount coupon which credits back an amount on app subscription using ApplicationCredit . The coupon will be active for a certain time period. Within that period the customer can upgrade (with coupon applied) to other plan also.

Suppose the customer chooses Basic plan initially, we are creating/activating a recurring charge and same time creating ApplicationCredit with discounted amount. Suppose they upgrade to Growth plan within few days so the Basic recurring charge will get deleted. But we've already issued the credit. How should I handle this problem? 

I've some more doubts.

1) Currently I'm creating ApplicationCredit once the recurring charge is activated. What is the correct time to create it, during app installation or recurring charge billing date?
2) Suppose the customer upgrades from Basic plan to Growth in same month. Will they get charged for both plans or only the last one?
3) Suppose I create a recurring charge on 2020-05-18, what is the next recurring application charge date?

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1003 131 147

This is an accepted solution.

Suppose the customer chooses Basic plan initially, we are creating/activating a recurring charge and same time creating ApplicationCredit with discounted amount. Suppose they upgrade to Growth plan within few days so the Basic recurring charge will get deleted. But we've already issued the credit. How should I handle this problem? 

You could either keep track of credits issued on your end or check the API.

1) Currently I'm creating ApplicationCredit once the recurring charge is activated. What is the correct time to create it, during app installation or recurring charge billing date?

On installation would make sense.

2) Suppose the customer upgrades from Basic plan to Growth in same month. Will they get charged for both plans or only the last one?

Each shop can have only one recurring charge per app. When a new recurring application charge is activated for a shop that already has one, the existing recurring charge is canceled and replaced by the new charge. 

3) Suppose I create a recurring charge on 2020-05-18, what is the next recurring application charge date?

More info here: https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/your-account/manage-billing/your-invoice/apps#shopify-billing-cyc...

1 Like