Referring Site - EXACTLY what does it mean?

Shopify Partner
4 0 0

The Shopify API gives access to a "referring_site" and a "landing_site" value for each Order.

How does Shopify determine the Referring Site?

Is it the FIRST website the user came from to get to my Shopify site?

Is it the LAST website the user came from to get to my Shopify site?

How much time can pass between a user visiting from a website and a sale before Shopify will clear the Referring Site?
For example, say a user visits my site (abc.com), coming from (def.com).
Three weeks later, the same user (let's assume same browser etc) visits my site directly, and completes a purchase, will def.com still be recorded as the Referring Site? What is the timeframe that it resets?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

Nobody knows?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

Bump.

0 Likes
Community Manager
Community Manager
2404 163 352

Hi @BV2,

Nick here from Shopify. 

I saw your message bump, but, I'm not completely sure on an answer to your question, but wondering if this Shopify help document about the notification variables you mentioned is of any help to you? Hopefully, it is. 

I have also moved your post to the SDK's and API topic board so other community members who might be more knowledgable about this might see it and be able to provide some more valuable insight. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

Hi Nick,

I'm only just seeing this. The link you provided doesn't provide much detail on these variables. Would still appreciate a better explanation of how these are determined as per my original post.

Thanks

0 Likes