Refresh POS Products List?

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
129 6 14

So I have a Shopify POS SDK function that creates a new user-defined product in Shopify. This function works fine, as the new product is created and is viewable in the web admin. I would then like to take this newly-created product (I have the variant_id) and add it to the POS cart, via the Shopify POS SDK's cart.addLineItem function. 

The result is hit or miss. I have my routine wait for a certain amount of milliseconds before trying to add to cart. But POS sometimes lags and doesn't see the product yet. I've extended that wait time and finally the new product is added to cart. But I'd prefer to not have my users looking at a spinning wheel for 30 seconds :)

Is there any sort of method I can employ to refresh the Shopify POS products list so that it will recognize this new variant_id? We have around 40,000 products in our test environment at present. Any suggestions?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
129 6 14

Can anyone who has had to implement similar mechanisms speak to this? There are arbitrary delays that aren't consistent enough to nail down. Sometimes a new product takes 10 seconds to be visible in POS. Other times it takes upwards of almost 30 seconds. And actually our test store only has around 7K items in it at present.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
129 6 14

So I was told by Shopify staff that POS on the iPad syncs up products with the cloud once every 60 seconds. Which can result in some lag time in my routine. Is anyone aware of any API method that can force the sync, or if somewhere we can configure POS to sync more frequently?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
129 6 14

Can anyone speak to this? Having to block my app for a full 60 seconds max to wait for new product to be visible in POS to add to cart isn't too efficient. Anyone from Shopify's team on here to feedback?

0 Likes