Solved

Reordering the images does not trigger the webhook products/update

Maggi
7 0 0

Hello,

We are using the webhook products/update to keep track of all product changes on our shop.

Unfortunately we noticed that this webhook is not triggered when changing the order of the product images. The webhook is triggered when adding or removing images or when assigning them to a variant.

For us this looks like a bug. Or is this really the expired behavior?

Thank you very much & best regards,
Maggi

Accepted Solution (1)
siddhantbajaj
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1 1 0

This is an accepted solution.

Hello Maggi,

I wanted to inform you that we have fixed the issue of webhooks not being sent on reordering of product images, please let us know if things are looking good on your end as well. Once again thanks for reporting the issue to us.

Also, I looked into the other case that you mentioned and it looks like webhooks are being fired from our end after assigning an image to the product variant. Can you try once again and see everything is set up correctly and if you are still able to recreate the issue? 

Siddhant

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 11 (11)

chrisbutcher
Shopify Staff
7 2 3

Hello Maggi,

Can you confirm whether you are re-ordering product images using the Shopify Admin (your-shop.myshopify.com/admin/products/:product_id) or if you're using the API?

In any case, can you let us know the myshopify.com domain of the shop you're working on?

Lastly, if you are using the API, can you confirm the name of your app, the shop and perhaps its API key?

Regards,

Chris

Maggi
7 0 0

Hello Chris,

Thank you for your reply!

We are changing product information (including the re-ordering of images) using the Shopify API (with an private app to push new products or updated product information from our distributor to Shopify) and the admin site to modify the products afterwards (for example adding additional images and re-ordering them manually). Therefore we need the webhook to synchronize our manual changes which we do via the Shopify Admin site with our database so that following API calls to update the product information won't reset the image order).

So we noticed the issue when re-ordering the images using the Shopify Admin site (e.g. *our-shop*.myshopify.com/admin/products/4442110787637). We tested it with several products and the webhook was never triggered.

I sent you our shop URL and the API key that has the webhooks registered via PM.

Thank you very much & best regards,

Maggi

chrisbutcher
Shopify Staff
7 2 3

Maggi,

Thank you for reporting this issue. I can confirm this is an existing bug. I've informed the team who maintains this feature and have provided them the details you sent me.

The team is working on a fix, and we'll get back to you once it has been applied. Thank you for your patience in the meantime.

Chris

Maggi
7 0 0

Hi Chris,

Thank you very much for the update and I am glad to hear that your colleagues are already working on a correction.

One more thing I should mention: In the meanwhile I noticed that also assigning product images to an variant does not trigger the products/update webhook anymore. I tested it with product 4442110787637 and I am sure that it worked earlier. Unfortunately I don't know what exactly caused that the webhook is not triggered anymore.

Thanks & best regards,
Maggi

siddhantbajaj
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1 1 0

This is an accepted solution.

Hello Maggi,

I wanted to inform you that we have fixed the issue of webhooks not being sent on reordering of product images, please let us know if things are looking good on your end as well. Once again thanks for reporting the issue to us.

Also, I looked into the other case that you mentioned and it looks like webhooks are being fired from our end after assigning an image to the product variant. Can you try once again and see everything is set up correctly and if you are still able to recreate the issue? 

Siddhant

Maggi
7 0 0

Hello siddhantbajaj

I am sorry for my late reply! 

I can confirm that the issue has been solved and that the webhook is now getting called when reordering the product images. The webhook is also properly called when an image is deleted or assigned to an variant.

Thank you very much for the fast support and the fix! 🙂

Best regards,
Maggi

itcoders
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Hello Siddhant,

Not triggering Product Update webhook  When Change/Delete main Product image ( not variant image) in Admin.

as_st
Shopify Partner
4 0 1

Hi @chrisbutcher and @siddhantbajaj , I am also able to reproduce not receiving a webhook on primary image deletion. 

EDIT: sample workflow

1. Image A is on product X
  2. Upload Image B to product X
  3. Webhook received
  4. Swap Image B for Image A as default
  5. Webhook received
  6. Delete Image B, making Image A default implicitly
  7. No webhook received

as_st
Shopify Partner
4 0 1

Also: this was done via Admin Panel, not API

_Dominik_
Shopify Partner
31 0 11

Hi there

reordering the images only seems to fire the webhook for a single time (?) for each product in our tests,

When I reorder again. No webhook is being fired. 

_Dominik_
Shopify Partner
31 0 11

works now