Request for video walk through of how to setup Custom App with only an App Proxy

agentlewis
Shopify Partner
10 0 1

Ok so I have actually writ about this before - creating app proxies should be easy and for some reason Shopifys changes have made it awful.

The current situation as I understand it: 

Private Apps are misnamed and should just be called custom integrations! Additionally they should give you the option to create an URL Proxy so we developers don't have to much around with creating custom apps to enable this one feature.

Public Apps - what it says on the tin 🙂 for the serious Appers. No complaints here.

Custom Apps in theory should have made life easier with an installation url that is coded to one store for installations.

However it fails on a couple of accounts:

1. It doesn't work, I m a pretty onto it person and I could not get it working over a few hours. My best guess now is that you actually have to deploy an app in order to install it to a shop. Or at least thats what I gather from this
  2. Wordy instructions - if it worked as described in the 8 simple steps of the first link, then no problem. But if its more complicated then this having a simple 5 minute video would have made this sooooo much easier to get your head around.
  3. if you just need an App proxy this feels like reaching for the sledge hammer to hammer in a tiny nail. 

I have now solved my problem by re-purposing an app I had installed a year ago, it wasn't getting used much and I can refactor out that data flow from the architecture.

So please can someone show me in simple baby steps how to make this work. Or better yet can Shopify just add URL proxies to the Private Apps 🙂

Replies 2 (2)

SBD_
Shopify Staff
1829 269 406

Hey @agentlewis,

Thanks for the feedback. I just caught up on your previous post with Busfox.

From the previous thread it sounds like you were using proxies to get around CORS issues - do you have access to the server code? if so, could you allow cross-origin requests from specific domains? Or, if you're submitting a form, is AJAX necessary (traditional forms shouldn't be blocked by CORS)?

If neither of those suggestions are suitable, you'll need to proceed with a custom (or public) app to access app extensions (like proxies). I agree OAuth is quite the learning curve. A bunch of libraries can handle this flow for you - which language are you using?

My best guess now is that you actually have to deploy an app in order to install it to a shop. Or at least thats what I gather from this

That's right (or at least run it locally to get started). This should've always been the case for access to app extensions. Perhaps I'm not understanding - did you previous deploy a private app?

I have now solved my problem by re-purposing an app I had installed a year ago

Awesome! Can you elaborate on how you got around the blockers?

Scott | Developer Advocate @ Shopify 

CruzAlejoA
Visitor
1 0 0

I am trying to do the same and wondering if you repurpose your ols app, what worked for you and if you have any suggestions to get it to work.  Thanks