Requirement to include customers with multiple stores?

Solved
Highlighted
20 0 0

We submitted an app whose target customer is a brick-and-mortar store with a Shopify account. These customers only have 1 store on their Shopify account, but in the review, our app was rejected for not working with customers with multiple stores (many of which were said to be Shopify Plus customers). Is this a requirement or can we highlight in our messaging and documentation that the app is designed for customers with 1 store? 

Thanks.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1843 172 547

All apps that update, fulfill, or restock inventory need to be updated to work with stores using multiple locations.

So if your app falls in to above category, then yes, you are required to support locations.

App vendors had a grace period of almost a year to support locations. Since your app is new, you are simply expected to support locations.

I wouldn't rely on marketing and documentation either to ensure your product is used as intended - 50% of the question posted on these forums would not exist if people DID read the marketing and documentation ;-)

I turn coffee in to code - since 1998
0 Likes
20 0 0

Thank you for the response. From the quoted requirement, I felt we weren't in that category because we simply pull products stores themselves add. We don't go in the other direction where something done through our app would have an effect on a store's inventory. There is no way to manage a store's inventory on Shopify from our app directly.

Would this be your understanding that we don't fall in that category?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1843 172 547

That would be my understanding as well 😀

Ultimately though, I can't tell what and how your app is implemented to have caused Shopify app review team to reject in on those grounds - maybe it is just something that needs to be communicated more clearly with app review team or they can / will provide you with a reason why you need to fulfil these criteria regardless whether your app interacts with inventory etc.

0 Likes
20 0 0

On researching more, I see supporting multiple stores with same email as a requirement within the app checklist. That is what the reviewer was citing. Is that the same as the locations you mentioned or is that different? If it is the same, then I can respond to the reviewer saying we are not handling inventory as you had cited.

0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Partner
1843 172 547

Ah that is not the same.

You can have multiple stores registered under the same email. So say daisy.demo@gmail.com runs 3 stores all via that email and she wanted to install and use your app on all of her stores. Your app must ensure that she can i.e. her email isn't required to be unique within your app - or it can be unique, that's up to you how you implement that, but she must be able to register with the same email 3 instances of your app on 3 of her stores without your app returning something like "eh eh, that email already exists". Of course, she'd be billed for 3 separate instances of your app as well.

0 Likes
20 0 0

Thank you for the explanation. 

0 Likes